Persian: اى كسانى كه ايمان آورده ايد

< Previous | Next >

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
سلام!

همانا خداوند وفرشتگان بر پيامبر درود مى فرستند؛ اى كسانى كه ايمان آورده ايد! بر او درود بفرستيد، وسلام بگوييد، سلام نيكو

I know imaan aavordan means "to have faith", but why is the verb آورده ايد instead of آورديد?

متشکرم

Last edited:
  • mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Ali Smith, سلام. For those who have converted to the faith, we use eemaan aavarde eed, The Present Perfect Tense.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Thanks! What about اى كسانى كه ايمان آورديد! بر او درود بفرستيد، وسلام بگوييد، سلام نيكو? Would it have been grammatically wrong or have meant something different?

By the way, isn't آوردن (to bring) pronounced aavordan? I think native speakers say "baad aavorde-raa baad mibarad".

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Thanks! What about اى كسانى كه ايمان آورديد! بر او درود بفرستيد، وسلام بگوييد، سلام نيكو? Would it have been grammatically wrong or have meant something different?
    It is grammatically correct but this message is addressing the newly converted rather than the previously converted so آورده ايد is correctly used, the difference is the same as in English between 'have converted' and 'converted' آورديد.

imaan aavordan means "to have faith"
    ایمان آوردن means "to accept the faith" literally "bring [oneself] to the faith"

ایمان داشتن here is "to have the faith", it could just mean "to have faith".

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    It is grammatically correct but this message is addressing the newly converted rather than the previously converted so آورده ايد is correctly used, the difference is the same as in English between 'have converted' and 'converted' آورديد.

ایمان آوردن means "to accept the faith" literally "bring [oneself] to the faith"

ایمان داشتن here is "to have the faith", it could just mean "to have faith".
    Many thanks. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:
    So we should say ' have accepted the faith' or ' have converted to the faith ', please?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    So we should say ' have accepted the faith' or ' have converted to the faith ', please?
    Both are correct and mean the same but for me there are small differences in some contexts. The picture in my mind is (overthinking :)), someone is addressing a group of newly converted, if s/he uses 'accepted' it suggests there may have been persuasion involved, coercive or otherwise, whereas 'converted' glosses over those things and therefore politically correct & less contentious.

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Both are correct and mean the same but for me there are small differences in some contexts. The picture in my mind is (overthinking :)), someone is addressing a group of newly converted, if s/he uses 'accepted' it suggests there may have been persuasion involved, coercive or otherwise, whereas 'converted' glosses over those things and therefore politically correct & less contentious.
    Excellent. Many thanks dear PersoLatin. :thank you: :thank you:

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    The "someone" is God in the Qur'an and the sentence in the OP is a direct translation of:

yaa ayyuha_llaziinaa aamanuu..................................

aamanuu is in the past tense and this can be translated as "O those who believed" but in English and Persian (and Urdu), it makes more sense if the translation is...

O those who have come to believe........In the past, they did not have this particular belief but now they are amongst those who are believers. Some translators go for the present tense..

O those who believe.

So one can summarise this as...

no belief > have come to believe/have believed > believe

iimaan na-daashtand > iimaan aavurdah-and > iimaan daarand

In Arabic, some grammar expersts suggest that we should not think in terms of past and present etc but whether the action is complete or incomplete. So, in "aamaanuu", the act of believing has reached the point of completion.

The Qur'anic ayat is إِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ ۚ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا صَلُّوا عَلَيْهِ وَسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا

Last edited:

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I really thought the question in the opening post was about an inflection Ali Smith was unfamiliar with; didn’t realize he was checking it against the original in Arabic. I suppose this is why context is always helpful. As for pronunciation, if one is reciting, then it is always aavarde eed. It is only when speaking that aavorde eed tends to replace the complete spelling: آوَرده‌اید.

Qureshpor

I really thought the question in the opening post was about an inflection Ali Smith was unfamiliar with; didn’t realize he was checking it against the original in Arabic. I suppose this is why context is always helpful. As for pronunciation, if one is reciting, then it is always aavarde eed. It is only when speaking that aavorde eed tends to replace the complete spelling: آوَرده‌اید.
    mannushka Jaan. He may not have had the Arabic in mind. It was just obvious to me that this was a translation of the Arabic.

taraa

Persian
    Do you use 'believe'/'belief' instead of 'faith', please?

Qureshpor

Thanks! What about اى كسانى كه ايمان آورديد! بر او درود بفرستيد، وسلام بگوييد، سلام نيكو? Would it have been grammatically wrong or have meant something different? By the way, isn't آوردن (to bring) pronounced aavordan? I think native speakers say "baad aavorde-raa baad mibarad".
    If the translation had been اى كسانى كه ايمان آورديد, this would have implied to the Persian speaker that the address was meant for people in the past and is done and over with. But آورده ايد, though still theoratically bearing a past meaning, has the effect of continuing down to the present.

< Previous | Next >