Persian: بولهوس \ بوالهوس

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out بولهوس. I get that it comes from شهوت which means lust, desire. I'm not sure if in a general sense though, or in a purely sexual?

Anyway, there is شهوت‌انگیز for appealing or seductive. So I'm guessing, بولهوس is the other side - lustful? Does ist automatically imply a sexual connotation, or is a child in a candy store also بولهوس?

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    According to Dehkhoda, despite it's appearance it is not an Arabic word and is the changed version of ‏پرهوس with هوس meaning desire, lust, longing, etc. so پرهوس: lustful or full of desire.

Does ist automatically imply a sexual connotation, or is a child in a candy store also بولهوس?
    No, it is mainly non sexual but can also be used for that purpose. If you describe someone as بولهوس without any context, you are saying that person wants/fancies everything they see also often changes their mind about what they want.

Last edited:

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    Thank you PersoLatin. I tried looking it up in Dehkhoda myself, but I was just confronted with even more terms that I do not know. It's like looking down the rabbit hole.

Is پرهوس a word that is used in daily speech? As in "that guy can't resist any temptation"?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Is پرهوس a word that is used in daily speech? As in "that guy can't resist any temptation"?
    Although بولهوس is the corrupted form of پرهوس, its meaning has changed, بولهوس is used informally and, to me, it has a negative 'recklessness' associated with it , whereas پرهوس is not negative in itself unless the context makes it so, basically I wouldn't use them interchangeably.

I would use وسوسه for temptation rather than پرهوس which is someone who is full of desires and wishes that can't always be fulfilled, e.g. a 'wishful thinker'

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    Thank you PersoLatin!

The word was used in a song (the one from the other thread where I asked about اوس کریم)

مجتهد بلهوس
    تبدیل شد به یک خرمگس

Thanks to your explanation I can make sense of it somewhat.

< Previous | Next >