Persian: تا تنور داغ است، نان را بچسبان

Haskol

Hebrew, English - US/Canada
I understand that the meaning of the verb چسباندن is "to stick, glue", but it doesn't make sense to me in this context. What am I misunderstanding?

Is it referring to how in a traditional oven the baker sticks the dough on the inner wall of the oven?

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I understand that the meaning of the verb چسباندن is "to stick, glue", but it doesn't make sense to me in this context. What am I misunderstanding?

Is it referring to how in a traditional oven the baker sticks the dough on the inner wall of the oven?
    Yes.

Stick the bread while the oven is hot.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would just like to add that I know this verb to be چسپاندن. Perhaps in the modern Persian of Iran, it is چسباندن.

Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

1651476337842.png

I'd reckon the proverb "strike while the iron is hot" could convey the same core idea in English.

Ben70

Farsi - Iran

Exactly. And it means "Strike the iron when it is hot."

Skeptical7

Farsi
    😐😐 non of your comments are answer, the OP states that he already knows the meaning of بچسبان but he wants to know the meaning of the phrase!!!
    This is a common idiom in Farsi, It means if now you have the opportunity to do something, do that immediately, cause in the future you might not have the chance anymore, like the time you want to bake a bread, only till the نتور is hot, you can do that, if you loose the opportunity, you can't get what you want anymore.
    Like the time you're unemployed and a company offers you a job, others tell you تا نتور داغه بچسبون or تا تنور داغه نون رو بچسبون which means accept the offer immediately cause you might loose it on the future.