Persian: تا تو به خاطر آخرین حرف دنبال سخن نگردی

Haji Firouz

Romanian
Hello,

Just when I thought I was making some progress, I come across the following two verses from Ahmad Shamlu - افق روشن /Ofogh-e roshan/:

روزی كه معنای هر سخن دوست داشتن است
/Ruzi keh ma’naa-ye har sokhan dust daashtan ast/
The day that meaning (of) every word love to have is

تا تو به خاطر آخرین حرف دنبال سخن نگردی
/Taa to be khaater-e akhtarin harf donbaal-e sokhan nagardi/
Until? you to word last talk/letter pursuit talk don’t search

I did my research and I know the meaning more or less is:
"the day – that the meaning of all speech is loving
so one won’t have to search for meaning down to the last word"
...but I am having trouble matching the words to the adapted translation.

1) What is the purpose and meaning of daashtan in the first verse? Wouldn't the verse make sense without it: The day that meaning (of) every word love to have is?

2) In the second verse, there are two words that both can mean "talk": /harf/ and /sokhan/ - see my notes below.

Taa = Until? So that?
sokhan nagardi = don't search the talk
harf donbaal = talk pursuit ... ?? Is this an expression?

I can't make much sense of the second verse.

Notes:
a) /harf/ 1. letter, character 2. Something said; speech, talk, remark, statement, word; utterance e.g. ایز کلمه چند حرف دارد /in kolme chand harf daarad/ How many letters does this word have?
b) /sokhan/ 1. Speech; word; remark. Ex. از این سخن رنجید /in sokhan ranjid/ (S)he suffered (at) this remark.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Ana-Maria

Last edited:
  • PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    1) What is the purpose and meaning of daashtan in the first verse? Wouldn't the verse make sense without it: The day that meaning (of) every word love to have is?
    دوست داشتن is a compound verb and means 'to love'

2) In the second verse, there are two words that both can mean "talk": /harf/ and /sokhan/ - see my notes below.
    Both harf and soxan in this context mean 'word', and yes at a very technical level harf means a 'letter'.

تا تو به خاطر آخرین حرف دنبال سخن نگردی
    This is literal : so that, for the sake of the last word, you don't/won't search for word
    I'll leave the interpretation to others.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >