Persian: تحسین، تمجید، تعریف

< Previous | Next >

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
Hello guys,

I was looking for a way to say "to praise someone", for example to praise a child for something they did great.

I stumbled upon this article:

آیا تا به حال برایتان پیش آمده است که از تعریف و تمجید دیگران خجالت‌زده شوید؟ تحسین دیگران می‌تواند مثل یک هدیه کوچک باشد که انگیزه، امید و اشتیاق را در هر کسی افزایش دهد.

So what exactly is the difference between تحسین، تمجید and تعریف?

From what I figure, تعریف is about talking to others or telling others about how well somebody did. However, since تعریف‌ کردن‌ also just means to describe/ to explain / to narrate, I don't see how it implies a positive connotation.
By saying, من تعریفت به کلاس کردم, does it automatically mean "I praised you to the class"?

As for تحسین and تمجید, they both are translated as praise, but I cannot differentiate them at all.

Here are some examples I would want to express:

- I'm not going to praise you for telling the truth because that's to be expected. But I'm going to scold you if you lie.

- I did great in my test so the teacher praised me for it.

• Treaty

Persian
    تحسین is "admiration"; it is a feeling or private expression rather than a public announcement (though it can also be used as the latter).
    تعریف is a common degree of "praise"; it is expressed. Given its primary meaning ("to make known"), it sometimes comes with recounting the good deeds of people others (esp. in their absence).
    تمجید is "glorification", stronger than تعریف; it is expressed. It also may have an indication of gratitude.
    There is also تکریم which is close to تمجید but not used commonly in Persian.

The common way to use تعریف and تمجید is with the preposition از as used in the article you linked. If you use it with accusative pronoun like تعریفت it may be confusing (تعریف also means to recount a story or define/describe meaning) unless it's treated as the object (e.g. تعریفت را به کلاس کرد).

In the first example, the correct word seems to be تحسین. For the teacher example, It depends whether the praise is public (تمجید) or not (تحسین).

Last edited:

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    Hello Treaty thank you for your explanation. It's still kind of hard to grasp.

Would you be so kind and give one example for تحسیت، تمجید and تعریف (in its meaning of praise), each in a sentence in which they are not interchangeable?

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hello, Ali! Here are some specimens, all fished out from the Internet, just to give you an idea of how the words are normally used. There are many more examples out there, naturally.

To glorify, to praise (Gospel of St. Matthew):

عیسا ... ایشان را شفا بخشید ... آن جماعت گنگ‌ها را متکلم و شل‌ها را تن‌درست و لنگ‌ها را خرامان و کوران را بینا دیده ... خدای اسراییل را تمجید کردند.

Again, to praise, only in a more mundane sense of the word:
    پائولو مالدینی دروازه‌بانِ میلان را بهترین گلرِ دنیا دانست و از وی تمجید کرد.

To admire:
    ایستادگیِ دیدنیِ یک شترمرغ در برابرِ سه یوزپلنگِ گرسنه تحسینِ طرفدارانِ محیطِ زیست را به همراه داشته است.

To compliment, to speak well of:
    مدح و تعریف از کسی هنگامی مذموم است که جنبه‌ی چاپلوسی داشته و دروغین باشد.

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Use of تعریف is much more common in speech. تحسین & تمجبد have been covered by above posts.

1) to speak/hear well of somebody/thing, to complement somebody/thing.
    A- از من تعریف کرد - spoke well of me
    B- تعریف شما را شنیده‌ایم we’ve heard good things about you

2) explain/recount/retell a story/an incident
    A- داستان را برای من تعریف کرد -recounted/explained the strory to me (positive & negative aspects alike)
    B- بیا از زندگیت/بچه‌هات برام تعریف کن
    come tell me (good things) about your life ( expectation is that positive things are recounted otherwise you’d use بگو/begu)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >