Persian
Hi,

What is the English translation for
تحویل دادن و گرفتن کتاب توسط کتابدار?

Thanks!

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Sorry I’m not too clear about the question, if you are referring to a library then you ‘borrow’ a book & you ‘return’ it,

You don’t usually use تحویل گرفتن for books unless you are a bookshop ‘taking delivery’ of books or you are ‘collecting’ book(s) that you have ordered before (from a library or a bookshop)

Last edited:

Treaty

Persian
    I think (s)he is asking for the verbs describing what the library staff do for the visitor when the latter collects and returns the items. They would still collect the returned items. But I'm not too sure about the correct term for the staff bringing a requested item from the stack (the act of getting the item is usually to retrieve).

cigogne

Persian
    As Treaty said, I'm looking for a verb which describes what the librarians do when they deliver/give a library material (book, journal, ...) to the clientele and a verb which describes what they do when they take the material back. Do "delivery" and "retrieve" work?

Thanks!

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    ^ I see.

تحویل گرفتن
    To check in books/resources
    تحویل دادن
    To check out/issue books/resources

Last edited:

cigogne

Persian
    Thanks for your help!
    So the phrase would be "check in and check out books to clients by the librarian, right?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    So the phrase would be "check in and check out books to clients by the librarian, right?
    Technically I would say yes,, whether in practice those terms are always used by librarians I am not sure.

The ‘check in’ part doesn't always happen as people just drop/leave returned books in a designated spot.