Persian: تو بطلعت آفتابي سزد اين که بي حجابي

< Previous | Next >

Uzair00la

English
Hi my dear friends! I'm currently reading Iqbal Lahori's "Zabur e Ajam". I came across this verse that is a little obscure to me. I will put the full couplet below

شب من سحر نمودي که به طلعت آفتابي
تو بطلعت آفتابي سزد اين که بي حجابي

I'm interested in the second line. What exactly does سزد mean here? Is it referring to the present tense of سوختن? If the latter assumption is true, would the verse mean "you with (your) appearance, the sun burns. What is this 'be hijabi' ( referring to the absence of a veil)."

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    سزد is فعل مضارع of the verb سزیدن

سزیدن (sazeedan) Transitive and intransitive verb 1. To be worthy or deserving, to deserve or merit. 2. To be suitable, to become. [Imper. root = سز saz]

Qureshpor

Ah, I see. Though, how would you translate the full sentence?
    I had the feeling, this would be your next question!:) Please bear in mind that I am no Professor Arberry or Professor Nicholson!

shab-i-man saHar namuudii, kih ba-tal3at-i-aaftaab-ii
    tu ba-tal3at-i-aaftaab-ii, sazad iiN kih be-Hihaab-ii

You have pointed my night into a dawn as You have the countenance of the sun
    You have the countence of the sun, it would become you to be without a curtain

"You" here is the ultimate beloved "God". The poet wants to see Him as Moses wished to see him!

Last edited:

Uzair00la

English
    Thanks so much. You writing out the transliteration allowed me to see where the stop in the line was. I was under the impression that سزد was connected with the words before.

Qureshpor

Thanks so much. You writing out the transliteration allowed me to see where the stop in the line was. I was under the impression that سزد was connected with the words before.
    You are most welcome. Another point of confusion could be the way آفتابی and حجابی are written which in reality are:

بطلعت ِآفتاب ای thou art with the countenance of the sun = You have the countenance of the sun

کہ بے حجاب ای that thou art unveiled. (I used curtain to rhyme with sun)

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    e the way آفتابی and حجابی are written which in reality are:

بطلعت ِآفتاب ای thou art with the countenance of the sun = You have the countenance of the sun

کہ بے حجاب ای that thou art unveiled. (I used curtain to rhyme with sun)
    Hi Qureshpor, why آفتاب‌ای and حجاب‌ای،? All Persian references including Ganjoor simply say آفتابی and حجابی.

Qureshpor

^ And what does آفتابی and حجابی mean? Is the یای نسبتی , ی or the ی which means art/are as in تو مرد ای as opposed to مردی manliness?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    In both cases, Persian uses ی, unless the word ends in a silent h, e.g. تو زنده‌ای you are alive or تو رفته‌ای, as I’m sure you already know.

Qureshpor

Yes, I know. I wanted to explain to @Uzair00la that here we are dealing with the personal ending for the second person singular for the verb "to be".

< Previous | Next >