Persian: تو کجا من کجا

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

In the TV music show "Coke Studio Pakistan" a beautiful song was peformed called " تو کجا من کجا"
[sample Youtube: VPp3fudw69w]

The song has mystic overtones, and it normally exalts the spiritual master, or God.

It is in Urdu, but this opening stanza is the above, in what (seems to be) Persian.

The translation offered in the video and website is:

تو کجا من کجا
tu kuja man kuja
Mine is a lowly station, and yours exalted beyond imagination

which looks quite interpretative to me :)

My questions are:
- Does it literally mean: "[Look] where I am (as in a lowly place) [while] where you are [is in a lofty place]"?
- Is it well written, or کجا من goes together تو کجامن کجا ?

I apologize for my total ignorance on Persian.
Thanks in advance for any information.

• Alfaaz

English
    This is a نعت (poetry written in praise of Prophet Muhammad صَلَّى ٱللَّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّم) by مظفّر وارثی (available here).

Urdu Lughat: کجا = کہاں
    تو کجا من کجا = تو کہاں میں کہاں - (literally) where art thou where am IMine is a lowly station, and yours exalted beyond imagination

(Platts entry quoted below)

میرا گھر خاک پر اور تری رہگذر
    سدرۃ المنتہیٰ، تو کجا من کجا

My house is on خاک while your رہگذر
    (is) سدرۃ المنتہیٰ, where art thou where am I
    — kahāṅ — kahān, Where (this) — where (that)?; how distant or how different is (this) from (that)! how little is (this) consistent with that! — cf. Pers. kujā — kujā
    Idioms listed in Urdu Lughat that use the same structure:
    • کُجا زاغِ راغِ ، کُجا طاؤسِ باغ
    • کُجا ذَرَّہ کُجا خورشِید
    • وغیرہ

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Thanks, @Alfaaz!

Yes, on a lighter register, I was familiar with the kahaaN ... kahaaN pattern (from Bollywood songs like "Do Pal") but I didn't know if Persian had it too.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    The phrase used in Persian is تو‌ کجا و من کجا, with “و/and” firmly there and playing a key role. I suppose the full phrase is تو کجایی و من کجایم “where are you AND where am I”.

In itself it does not imply lowliness/station/level on neither part, it is the way/tone and the context it isn’t used in that determines the aim/direction of the comparison.

You could; swap the position of تو & من , also use این & آن and other words.

Last edited: