Persian: حق باشماست

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
سلام

I wanted to tell an Iranian he was right, so I said حق داريد. He told me that حق داشتن meant "to have a right (to do something)", not "to be right". He went on to say that the correct expression for "You are right." is "حق باشماست". I've never heard this expression before. Is it really used?

متشكرم

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hi, Ali Smith.
    The expression does exist and it means “you are right (in what you say).”
    Usage of حق دارید is different. It is a way of sympathizing, a bit like saying “I get where you’re coming from”.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    wanted to tell an Iranian he was right, so I said حق داريد. He told me that حق داشتن meant "to have a right (to do something)", not "to be right". He went on to say that the correct expression for "You are right." is "حق باشماست". I've never heard this expression before. Is it really used?
    حق داشتن means “to have the right to” so it is usually followed by another verb, e.g. شما حق دارید این کار را بکنید “you have the right to do that”, you can shorten this to حق دارید but only in this type of situation.

حق باشماست means “you are in the right”, essentially, you are on the right side of the argument.

In Persian you use شما درست میگویید for “you are right” usually when you agree with what someone says.

Last edited: