Persian: خوشبختم و خوشوقتم

bjoleniacz

English, USA
Salaam,

I am trying to learn understand the grammar/root of the word خوشوقتم
I know it means "very pleased," but I can't figure out why. Khosh means pleasant, vaqt means time, and -am means "I am." So literally this looks to me like "I am pleasant time." Can someone please explain?

Also, can someone explain خوشبختم in the same way?

Motshakarram!

• sb70012

Hello dear Bjoleniacz,

Well... sometimes There are some circumstances that we need to obey. I mean there are some sentences and words that we can’t translate word by word or letter by letter. And if we do so, on that time the word will make no sense to us.

For example look at this expression: “You are the apple of my eye” = (If you translate it word by word, it will make no sense to you, because it’s something like a slang.)

خوشبختم and خوشوقتم both have same meaning. They both mean (it’s nice to meet you)

But خوشبختم is mostly used these days.

خوشوقتم is used only one in million. It’s rarely said or used. I myself have never used it in my life.

I myself always say خوشبختم = (it’s nice to meet you) or ( I am very pleased to meet you)

Try not to say خوشوقتم

One more thing: Although in most dictionaries it's written (salaam), but we persian people rarely type double (aa). I mean it's common to say (salam) not (salaam). When we want to write a Short Message in our cell phone or type a message in persian chat rooms, we usully type (salam) with one (a) not double (a).

Always good luck.
    همیشه موفق باشید

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    xudh-vaqt-am means "My time is passing in a pleasant manner" whilst "xush-baxt-am" means "My luck/fortune is good". Both mean "I am happy/fine".

Aryamp

Persian
    xudh-vaqt-am means "My time is passing in a pleasant manner" whilst "xush-baxt-am" means
    "My luck/fortune is good". Both mean "I am happy/fine".

True. Also وقت originally has a broader meaning than just "time" in literature and Mythicism it is a concept dealing with the present state of a Person. Most Persian native speakers probably are not aware of this and only use "وقت" in the same meaning as time in general, however unconsciously they differentiate وقت and زمان in usage.

They both mean time but وقت is usually used in connection with "state of a person in relation with that moment /a certain moment in time" as in وقت ندارم or میشه چند لحظه وقتتون رو بگیرم؟ or رفتم دکتر وقت گرفتم . while in science we strictly talk of زمان (which can be a range of many moments or include minutes/hours etc and can be measured) as in سرعت = مسافت بخش برزمان

Anyway it's a complicated concept and to explain it fully would require pages of writing but so وقت is not exactly just "time" it is the present state/mood of a person, or time in relation to the present mood and how one feels the time and how one is aware of the time etc.

So when we meet someone and want to say "pleased to meet you" it's more accurate to say خوشوقتم which although can literally be translated as "I'm having a good time" but as I explained here "وقت" has a deeper meaning than just "time" in English.

خوشبختم is often used interchangeably with خوشوقتم , its actual meaning is "I'm lucky/fortunate" so if you want to say "I'm fortunate/ lucky because I have a nice family" you can use it : خوشبختم چون خانواده‌ی خوبی دارم

Both these terms are frequently used, and most people do not consider them much different but as I explained they're different and it's better to use خوشوقتم when you want to say you're having a nice time/mood/ or you're pleased and use خوشبختم where you want to say you feel lucky/fortunate.

Aryamp

Persian
    Both mean (it's nice to meet you)

‌Perhaps it's more accurate to say both are used to mean "nice to meet you / Pleased to meed you" in other words these are terms Iranians use in a situation where English people say "Nice to meet you" though in Persian they have different meanings and come from different roots as I explained earlier.

sb70012

‌Perhaps it's more accurate to say both are used to mean "nice to meet you / Pleased to meed you" in other words these are terms Iranians use in a situation where English people say "Nice to meet you" though in Persian they have different meanings and come from different roots as I explained earlier.

I myself believe that they both mean (it's nice to meet you) or (nice to meet you)
    http://www.google.com/search?q=خوشوقتم&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:fa:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Farhadfar

Persian
    First of all the word خوشبختم is wrong....
    The correct term is خوشوقتم. The word خوشبختم is totaly wrong but still used at the street but doesnt have any place in persian litrature. خوشوقت هستم or خوشوقتم means I am a nice time haver.... I am glad to be in this time or period here to get to know you!!!

fdb

French (France)
    xuš-baxt and xuš-waqt are both compounds of type which in linguistics we call bahuvrihi. The former means “whose fortune is good” (with Persian baxt) and the latter means “whose time is good” (with Arabic waqt). Both have a similar meaning, and at least in modern Persian baxt sounds almost exactly like waqt, since waqt is actually pronounced [vaxt]. So I think it is very possible that one is a corruption of the other. But it would require further investigation to know which one in original.

Aryamp

Persian
    First of all the word خوشبختم is wrong....
    The correct term is خوشوقتم. The word خوشبختم is totaly wrong but still used at the street but doesnt have any place in persian litrature. خوشوقت هستم or خوشوقتم means I am a nice time haver.... I am glad to be in this time or period here to get to know you!!!
    Hi Farhad,
    What do you mean خوشبخت is a wrong term? You mean in the context of greetings? I do not see anything wrong with it in the sense of 'fortunate' or 'lucky'

xuš-baxt and xuš-waqt are both compounds of type which in linguistics we call bahuvrihi. The former means “whose fortune is good” (with Persian baxt) and the latter means “whose time is good” (with Arabic waqt). Both have a similar meaning, and at least in modern Persian baxt sounds almost exactly like waqt, since waqt is actually pronounced [vaxt]. So I think it is very possible that one is a corruption of the other. But it would require further investigation to know which one in original.

You mean وقت is pronounced vaxt in Persian or in arabic? In Persian baxt sounds nothing like waqt. ق in وقت is not pronounced like خ .

Aryamp

Persian
    I suppose we have different understandings about the way Persian sounds. To me that audio clearly says وقت and not وخت. You can compare these two groups of words (وقت vs بخت ) ; to my ears there is a clear difference between خ and ق .