Persian: خيمه به در نميزني

Akinci

Turkish
In this text how can we translate this part "خيمه به در نميزني" ?

کس نگذشت در دلم تا تو به خاطر منی
یک نفس از درون من خیمه به در نمی‌زنی

You don't knock (my) door, but where we can put the word "خيمه " ?

1602184681453.png

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I doubt there is any knocking on doors in the text. Perhaps the verb is a composite one: ‘to set up camp outdoors’, ‘to leave’.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    کس نگذشت در دلم تا تو به خاطر منی
    یک نفس از درون من خیمه به در نمی‌زنی
    In essence Sa’di is saying:
    No one (else’s thoughts) passes through my heart while you are in my mind.

(yet) you don’t come to/camp at my door even for the shortest time (time to draw/exhale a breath)

EDIT: changed the first ‘mind’ to heart.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ I have a similar understanding.

Literal translation:

No one (has) passed in/through my heart since (the time) you are in my mind
    Yet you don't for one moment pitch a tent (even) at the entrance to my heart

In other words....

From the time that you entered my mind, no one else has found a place in my heart. However, for a single moment you have not taken the trouble to stop over even at the door leading to my heart.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Without being absolutely certain, I rather feel the second part is, as the first, a proclamation of steadfast love: “Not for one moment does your presence leave my being.”

I say this because az daroon suggests departure from inside through to the outside; the poet seems to be speaking figuratively, saying, ‘you have rigged up your tent inside me and will not for a moment take it outside.’

• Thank you!
    Reactions: Dib

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    the poet seems to be speaking figuratively
    It’s all highly figurative, do poets do much else :).

‘you have rigged up your tent inside me and will not for a moment take it outside.’
    Yes if we, for the sake of clarity, replace یک نفس with یک لحظه, we will arrive at your interpretation which makes perfect sense and I agree with.

I interpreted the second line as a complaint for not receiving reciprocal love, whereas it is as you say, a continuation of proclamation of love from the first line.

Last edited:
    • Thank you!
    Reactions: Dib

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I looked before but couldn’t find any other meaning in Arabic or Persian which wasn’t related to some kind of temporary or moveable shelter.

But if there is another meaning, the context would have provided an idea.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    خیمه به در نمی‌زنی
    This is interesting, خیمه زدن means to “pitch up a tent”, the same as the more modern چادر زدن, but what does.. به در ... mean here exactly, I believe در here means “out” (not door) and به در “outside”.