Persian: دره ی کوه کجا و تهران کجاست؟

aramesh

Italian
Dear all,

I found the sentence دره ی کوه کجا و تهران کجاست؟ (from the novel روزگار سیاه by 'Abbas Khalili) translated as "There is a world of difference between the mountains and Teheran!".

Is the phrase koja... koja? used to mark the difference between two elements? I would be very grateful to you if you could give me your comments about it because I've never heard it.

Sepasgozaram,

Aramesh

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    It's a way of contrasting the greater importance/value of one over another.

If I was a painter and someone said your painting has the look of Leorando da Vinci, I would most certainly need to say...

من کجا و لیوناردو دا ونچی کجا

Having said this, the sentence you have quoted translates to..

Where is the mountain pass and where is Tehran.

Without knowing more context, it is difficult to know if this is contrasting two things or merely a question about two things. When one is contrasting, one normally does n't have "است".

Last edited:

aramesh

Italian
    It's a way of contrasting the greater importance/value of one over another.

If I was a painter and someone said your painting has the look of Leorando da Vinci, I would most certainly need to say...

من کجا و لیوناردو دا ونچی کجا

Having said this, the sentence you have quoted translates to..

Where is the mountain pass and where is Tehran.

Without knowing more context, it is difficult to know if this is contrasting two things or merely a question about two things. When one is contrasting, one normally does n't have "است".

Many thanks, @Qureshpor, for your clear explanation. It fits perfectly! The sentence has to do with contrasts, considering that it is followed by another of the same tone: آرامگه آهوان کجا و مسکن پریرویان کجاست؟
    Interesting to note that است is not commonly used.

Aramesh

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    آرامگه آهوان کجا و مسکن پریرویان کجاست؟
    دره ی کوه کجا و تهران کجاست؟
    As has been said, when doing a comparison of this type ast/است or -st/ست- is not used and that is unusual, the translation "There is a world of difference between the mountains and Teheran!" is consistent with the with کجا .....کجا؟..... which is the usual form, for example:
    این کجا و آن کجا؟, basically "there's no comparison/a big difference between them" or "you can not compare the two".

Last edited:

Asad Ashoori

Persian
    Dear all,

I found the sentence دره ی کوه کجا و تهران کجاست؟ (from the novel روزگار سیاه by 'Abbas Khalili) translated as "There is a world of difference between the mountains and Teheran!".

Is the phrase koja... koja? used to mark the difference between two elements? I would be very grateful to you if you could give me your comments about it because I've never heard it.

Sepasgozaram,

Aramesh
    It's a way to specify the worth, fame, or value of someone or something, especially a famous or powerful person.
    for example, Hamid is very good at physics. one day his friend told him: "when you grow up you will be like Einstein." and Hamid said: "من کجا و انیشتین کجا!"
    It means that Einstein is very very smarter than me and I'm not worthy enough to be compared with him.

• Thank you!
    Reactions: Dib