Persian: در جگر افتاده هستم صد شرر

Uzair00la

English
Hey guys,
I found this quote by Molana Rumi (most likely)

در جگر افتاده هستم صد شرر

1) how would you translate this

2) what does افتاده هستم mean. If it means "I had fell", why wasn't افتاده ام just used.

Thanks!

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This is equivalent to در جگرم افتادہ است صد شرر

Is this helpful?

I believe the correct quote is در جگر افتاده استم صد شرر

nashenas.agha

Urdu
    Hey guys,

2) what does افتاده هستم mean. If it means "I had fell", why wasn't افتاده ام just used.

Thanks!
    The answer to second part is that افتاده ام is the short form of افتاده هستم, just like the short of افتاده هست is افتاده‌ست...

This is equivalent to در جگرم افتادہ است صد شرر

Is this helpful?

I believe the correct quote is در جگر افتاده استم صد شرر
    In Afghan Persian, ه is usually pronounced as alef. So instead of هستم, they pronounce استم. Similarly, instead of همین، they would pronounce امین.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Similarly, instead of همین، they would pronounce امین.
    I have not heard this before, if همین is pronounced as امین it is for a different reason to است and هست. The latter two are two different verbs. In Iranian Persian هست is mistakenly used for است in some situations e.g. من ‏اینجا ‏هستم/I am here, should really be من ‏اینجا ‏استم.

Last edited:

nashenas.agha

Urdu
    I have not heard this before, if همین is pronounced as امین it is for a different reason to است and هست. The latter two are two different verbs. In Iranian Persian هست is mistakenly used for است in some situations e.g. من ‏اینجا ‏هستم/I am here, should really be من ‏اینجا ‏استم.
    I agree upto some extent that the reason for است and هست is different as there is a very slight difference between them in some scenarios.
    In Afghan Persian, sometimes ه or ح are not pronounced while sometimes عand الف are pronounced as ه or ح. You can refer to a book written by امیر حسین اکبری شالچی by the name of واژه‌هایِ فریبکار در فارسیِ افغانستانی and also see this book. There you will find so many examples.
    One example is they don't pronounce ح in حالات and pronounce آلات. Example of the converse is the word هلت which is actually علت.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I agree upto some extent that the reason for است and هست is different as there is a very slight difference between them in some scenarios.
    There's a big difference between the two.
    1 - در انجا دو میز هست - There are two tables there,
    2 - این گل زیباست - This flower is beautiful.

هست in 1- means 'there are', است) ست) in 2- means 'is', and the two are not interchangeable.

But as I had said, you may see 2- as این گل زیبا هست/This flower is beautiful,. or the previous example من ‏اینجا ‏هستم/I am here which are wrong but they are used colloquially.

Qureshpor

I personally don't understand why there is a discussion taking place concerning استم and ھستم .

The correct version of the shi3r is ....

در جگر افتاده استم صد شرر

in which the -am is linked to jigar , i.e در جگرم افتادہ است صد شرر

So there is no astam/hastam issue!

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I personally don't understand why there is a discussion taking place concerning استم and ھستم .
    With respect, because an issue/a comment that will lead to misunderstanding an important fact which happens to be relevant to the thread, needs to be addressed, unless the forum rules have changed. (see below):
    In Afghan Persian, ه is usually pronounced as alef. So instead of هستم, they pronounce استم.

Last edited:

nashenas.agha

Urdu
    There's a big difference between the two.
    1 - در انجا دو میز هست - There are two tables there,
    2 - این گل زیباست - This flower is beautiful.

هست in 1- means 'there are', است) ست) in 2- means 'is', and the two are not interchangeable.

But as I had said, you may see 2- as این گل زیبا هست/This flower is beautiful,. or the previous example من ‏اینجا ‏هستم/I am here which are wrong but they are used colloquially.
    This article clarifies the difference between the two
    است یا هست؟ - BBC Academy

nashenas.agha

Urdu

The correct version of the shi3r is ....

in which the -am is linked to jigar , i.e در جگرم افتادہ است صد شرر

So there is no astam/hastam issue!
    The words استم ، استیم ،استید are not used in Classical Persian. Its a matter of dialect. Poetry is written in Classical Persian, thats why you won't find these words in any Persian poem. You have quoted a line from Rumi's poetry that's why it will remain ھستم.

fdb

French (France)
    If astam is used for hastam “I am”, then this is not a classical form.

On the other hand dar jigar uftāda ast-am could mean dar jigar-am uftāda ast (“my liver”). In this case -am is an enclitic pronoun, not part of the verb. (As Qureshpor has noted).

Qureshpor

خود من جعل المهوم هما
    از لفظ رسول خوانده استم

for از لفظ رسول خواندہ ام from دیوانِ شمس

گیرم که جمال دوست دیدی
    از چشم ویش ندیده استی

for از چشم ویش ندیده ای from دیوانِ شمس

نروی از در تو باز استند
    بروی جمله در مجاز استند
    اوحدی

I presume here we would expect ھسند or just اند

ebrahim

Persian
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    در مناجاتم ببين بوي جگر

This is my translation:

Hundreds of embers have fallen on my liver
    This is why I smell of barbequed liver in my prayers. :D

mas pas

Farsi
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    A guilty man who aware of his sins telling himself...... my heart is filled ( افتاده هستم ) .....in other hand means sins fall in my liver....( افتاده در جگر من) so it means flame of fires of sins has been fallen in my liver

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >