Persian: دوستان خرم که بر منزل رسيد آواره ئي

Uzair00la

English
Hey everyone, I came across this line while reading Iqbal Lahori's Zabur E Ajam. Before I ask my issue, I'll put down the two two verses.

دوستان خرم که بر منزل رسيد آواره ئي

من پريشان جاده هاي علم و دانش کرده طي

Ok so my gripe with the first line is that shouldn't the word خرم (Khorram) be خرمند, to match the subject دوستان, which is a plural word ?

The way I'm seeing the first line is, "(my friends) are happy that a wanderer like myself reached the destination [ I pulled the myself from the next line. I believe there is an Ezafeh between آواره و من]

Thanks

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    دوستاں خُرّم که بر منزل رسید آوارہ اے
    من پریشان جادہ ھای علم و دانش کردہ طی

dostaaN xuraam kih bar manzil rsid aavaarah-e
    man pareshaaN jaadah-haay-i-3im-o-daanish kardah tai

There is no izaafat after "dostaaN". Besides, in Persian, the adjective remains singular even when the noun is in the plural.

dost-i-xuub

dostaan-i-xuub

Uzair00la

English
    Thanks for your answer. I recognize that خرم is not an adjective. My question is that if it is a predicate, then shouldn't it be خرمند 'Xorramand', to make the subject and predicate both congruent.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Thanks for your answer. I recognize that خرم is not an adjective. My question is that if it is a predicate, then shouldn't it be خرمند 'Xorramand', to make the subject and predicate both congruent.
    Yes, in "Friends are happy...", the "are" is understood.

دوستاں خُرّم [اند] که بر منزل رسید آوارہ اے

kmrn

Persian
    To my ears this sounds just plane grammatically faulty since neither دوستانِ خرم nor دوستان، خرم make any sense if you take the second line into account.

I remember our literature teacher told us that it is not uncommon for Iqbal Lahouri to have grammatical errors in his Persian poems, because that was not his mother tounge.

Uzair00la

English
    I'm not claiming that Iqbal is always grammatically correct, but I have seen many times that his style of poetry matches other famous persian poets. Yes, grammatically the first line sounds awkward, but I would be careful to dismiss it before reviewing the works of others.