Persian: دگرباش

lukebeadgcf

English – US
I saw the word دگرباش in a BBC article about the Australian olympian Matthew Mitcham.

Where does the word دگرباش, meaning "LGBT," come from? What is its etymology?

To what extent can it be used in conversation with this meaning? Or are there better alternatives?

Thank you!

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    دگر/degar or دیگر/digar mean ‘other’ and دگرباش means literally ‘being other’, I myself have not heard it but in the context you’ve given it most probably means ‘LGBT’.

I find دگرباش a little strange, but the present stem of verb بودن/to be, is باش, but the final ش is not etymological, so maybe دگربا can be considered, the other option is دگری meaning being دگر but I can be confusing.

Last edited:

utopia62000

Persian
    I saw the word دگرباش in a BBC article about the Australian olympian Matthew Mitcham.

Where does the word دگرباش, meaning "LGBT," come from? What is its etymology?

To what extent can it be used in conversation with this meaning? Or are there better alternatives?

Thank you!
    This compound adjective has recently (less than a decade perhaps) been added to the Persian words and as you mentioned, refers to LGBT. It is mostly used as plural ( دگرباشان) and often followed by ( جنسی ). باش in one sense is صفت فاعلی مرکب مرخم and is shortened from باشنده. The word باشنده is not used in contemporary Farsi in Iran, but is widely used by Afghans. They use it with the meaning "those present/ attendees". now, دگرباشان means those who exist as a different type. When it is followed by جنسی and form دگرباشانِ جنسی , it means, those who are sexually different than normal people which refers to the LGBT. I hope it is clear now.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This compound adjective has recently (less than a decade perhaps) been added to the Persian words and as you mentioned, refers to LGBT. It is mostly used as plural ( دگرباشان) and often followed by ( جنسی ). باش in one sense is صفت فاعلی مرکب مرخم and is shortened from باشنده. The word باشنده is not used in contemporary Farsi in Iran, but is widely used by Afghans. They use it with the meaning "those present/ attendees". now, دگرباشان means those who exist as a different type. When it is followed by جنسی and form دگرباشانِ جنسی , it means, those who are sexually different than normal people which refers to the LGBT. I hope it is clear now.
    Just as a side note, باشندہ in Urdu has the meaning of "inhabitant" which I believe was the meaning in older Persian.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Considering باد (e.g. in زنده ‌باد) is derived from بودن and which is synonymous with باشد, why wasn’t باینده considered instead of باشنده, after all we are inventing a word, the present stem of بودن must have been بو , بی or با but because of awkwardness of pronouncing a long vowel at the end, ش was added to the most likely candidate which is با. Anyway as Queshpor has said باشنده already has a meaning which is ساکن/مقیم that makes دگرباشنده quite ridiculous,

From Molavi:
    بال و پر وهم عاشق ز آتش دل چون بسوخت
    همچو خورشید و قمر بی‌بال و پر پرنده شد
    ای خنک جانی که لطف شمس تبریزی بیافت
    برگذشت از نه فلک بر لامکان باشنده شد

Last edited: