Persian: راحت باش

timboleicester

English - UK
This is a line from a song by Mohsen Yeganeh. I am sure this is what he says but my iranian friends say it doesn't sound right. Something wrong at the end?

بهت‌‌ قول میدم سخت نیست لااقل برای تو راحت باش

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    This is a line from a song by Mohsen Yeganeh. I am sure this is what he says but my iranian friends say it doesn't sound right. Something wrong at the end?

It is correct BUT the sentence lacks a crucial comma after تو, which makes راحت باش "take it easy" start of another sub-sentence:
    بهت‌‌ قول میدم سخت نیست لااقل برای تو، راحت باش

timboleicester

English - UK
    Hello, thank you for your answer. I think the English translation is wrong then. I know راحت باش means "take it easy" or " be comfortable" literally. They wrote it as "I promise you this is not difficult, at least not for you"

Thanks again.

timboleicester

English - UK
    Yes, "don't worry" as a standalone unit and nothing to do with the preceding part. But it still seems odd. "I will make you a promise, it's not hard AT LEAST for you. Don't worry" What does the "لااقل " refer to then?

timboleicester

English - UK
    [Moderator note: As per the forum rules, lyrics can be quoted up to 4 lines maximum. Please add the title of the poem or song and the name of the poet and/or singer for reference and context. Thanks. Cherine]

Here are the lyrics:

دو روز بگذره این دلشوره ها از خاطرت میره
    بهت قول میدم سخت نیست لااقل برای تو
    راحت باش دورم از تو و دنیای تو
    راحت باش هیچ کس نمیاد جای تو

Last edited by a moderator:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    What does the "لااقل " refer to then?
    [/QUOTE
    دو روز بگذره این دلشوره ها از خاطرت میره

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran

He is saying: don't worry I am now far from you (as she obviously doesn't care much for him anymore) , so at least one thing you don't have to worry about, no one is going take your place (in my heart) (not that he expects her TO worry)

Please bear in mind lyrics are primarily constructed to rhyme and sometimes at the cost of clarity but they are still good to learn the language from.

Last edited:

ebrahim

Persian

He saying: don't worry I am far from you now (as she obviously;y doesn't care much for him anymore) , so at least one thing you don't have to worry about, no one is going take your place (in my heart)
    I'm afraid I don't agree with you on this. لااقل is not an adverb for راحت باش, it is an adverb for برای تو. He's saying that "Don't worry, it won't be difficult at least for you." He's indicating that it might be hard for 'me' but not for 'you'.

timboleicester

English - UK
    What is not "difficult" the promising? Something that is "sakt nist" is "easy" . I am going to have a lie down. Thanks for all the efforts. Is he suggesting that it is difficult for the other person to give the same promise?

Ah, I am beginning to see the light.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    it is an adverb for برای تو.
    I agree and that's why I highlighted it:

..... He's saying that "Don't worry, it won't be difficult at least for you." He's indicating that it might be hard for 'me' but not for 'you'.
    Mine was not a translation but an attempt at interpreting it, if that has not convinced you then I will bow out as there's no chance I can make a headway with timboleicester.

timboleicester

English - UK
    PersoLatin. You don't need to make any headway with me. But, behet ghol midam, sakt nist... can't mean it's hard for him to promise.

Maybe he is saying that It's easy for him to promise but difficult for the other person. In fact the opposite way round to "He's indicating that it might be hard for 'me' but not for 'you'. "

ebrahim

Persian
    Maybe he is saying that It's easy for him to promise but difficult for the other person. In fact the opposite way round to "He's indicating that it might be hard for 'me' but not for 'you'. "
    What is difficult is not promising, it is the breaking up. He is saying that if you want to leave me, it's ok, you don't need to show pity for me. He is telling her that the breaking up won't be difficult, at least for you if not for me.

truce

Persian
    Let me shed some light on the issue.

In Persian "بهت قول میدم" sometimes is an equivalent for "شرط می بندم" (l bet ...).

Example:
    بهت قول میدم که فردا تیم فوتبال شهرداری می بره
    That means:
    شرط میبندم که فردا تیم فوتبال شهرداری می بره

And the same thing goes for that lyric, which means:
    I bet that this split-up is not difficult at least for you.
    Actually "بهت قول میدم" in this form of usage means "مطمئن هستم که" (I am sure that).
    So the lyric can be rephrased as bellow:
    من مطمئن هستم که این جدایی حداقل برای توی سخت نیست
    Translation:
    I am sure that this split-up is not difficult at least for you.

Last edited:

timboleicester

English - UK
    I very much enjoyed your answer and your take on the matter in hand.

But you do have to bet/promise someone SOMETHING surely? Like in your example. Shahdareh mibareh. Is that winning the league?

truce

Persian
    I very much enjoyed your answer and your take on the matter in hand.

But you do have to bet/promise someone SOMETHING surely? Like in your example. Shahdareh mibareh. Is that winning the league?
    More explanations are added to my previous post. Please refresh the page.
    Shahdari soccer team is just an example and can be considered as a team in a match of derby, soccer league tournaments or the like.

Last edited:

truce

Persian
    Forgot to add the translation of my example.
    Here it is:
    I bet that Shahrdari soccer team will win the match tomorrow.
    Or:
    I am sure that Shahrdari soccer team will win the match tomorrow.

This sentences as parsolatin mentioned are without correct punctuation. I think, if we have access to the original manuscript, we will find it in correct punctuation. But the language is based on common people daily speaking and logic and it seems all are correct. In the end please remember the songs poem and the literary poem are different language.

< Previous | Next >