Persian: ساختمانِ از همه بلندتر ايران كدام است؟

Pathawi

English - USAian
I'm perplexed by the structure of a sentence given in Wheeler Thackston's An Introduction to Persian:

ساختمانِ از همه بلندتر ايران كدام است؟

I added the zir on ساختمان to reflect his Romanisation:

sâkhtemân-e az-hame-bolandtar-e irân kodâm-ast?

I note the sort of similar construction in John Mace's Persian Grammar for Reference and Revision:

اين فرشها از همه گرانترند.

in faršhā az hame gerândtarand.

with no ezâfe.

I'm trying to work out what's going on here, & I have a hypothesis. Can someone confirm or correct? In the sentence from Thackston, the subject is sâkhtemân-e az-hame-bolandtar-e irân, so this is basically one long noun phrase (or determiner phrase if you're into that). The components are linked together with ezâfe. In the sentence from Mace, the subject is in faršhā, while az hame gerândtar is the complement in the predicate, so there's no ezâfe connection. Am I understanding what's going on in the grammar here correctly?

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    ساختمانِ از همه بلندتر ايران كدام است؟
    This should be actually be:
    بلند ترین ساختمان ایران کدام است؟
    bolandtarine sâxtemâne Irân kodâm ast?

I added the zir on ساختمان to reflect his Romanisation:
    ساختمانِ از همه بلندتر ايران كدام است is colloquial and not very elegant at that, also the zir you mentioned is a definite marker, albeit colloquial, equivalent to 'the', best represented as: ساختمانِ/sâxtemâné, not to get it mixed up with other meanings of zir.

So ساختمانِ از همه بلندتر ايران كدام است؟/sâxtemâné, word for word means: which building is the taller than all in Iran (awful in both languages)

Other versions:
    کدام ساختمان بلند ترین ساختمان ایران است؟/which building is the tallest building in Iran
    این ساختمان از همه بلند تر است/ this building is taller than all (in the right context)

Last edited: