Urdu - Pakistan
Hi,

An Islamic scholar asked a young man چطورید؟
He replied بد نیستم، مرسی. تو چطوری؟
The scholar exclaimed بچهٔ سُسُل!

What does sosol mean?

• Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Oh, I see. How do you pronounce this word? susul? sosol?
    And what's wrong with using "mercy" to thank someone? Was the scholar expecting something different? If so, what?

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    And what's wrong with using "mercy" to thank someone? Was the scholar expecting something different? If so, what?
    Knowing that practically every word in Persian is pronounced with long vowels, I assume it is pronounced as سُوسُول

کسی که از کار های سخت پرهیز می کند و راحت طلبی را پیشه خود کرده و نوع لباس پوشیدن و وضع ظاهر و طرز سخن گفتن او زنانه است۔

For someone who is supposed to be a "scholar", his response is very unfortunate. مرسی is quite common amongst the educated, as far as I know.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    ^ The "scholar" could have reacted negatively to the manner in which he was referred to by the "young man." You'd expect to hear شما چطوريد...

ebrahim

Persian
    It is pronounced 'susul', with long vowels. He said that because 'merci' is a foreign word mainly used by urban people. Maybe the scholar disapproved of such words and expected to hear a Persian or Arabic word.

Qureshpor

^ The "scholar" could have reacted negatively to the manner in which he was referred to by the "young man." You'd expect to hear شما چطوريد...
    Thank you marrish SaaHib. I didn't notice this. But still, if you are supposed to be a religious scholar (Islamic one I suspect), one needs to set an example rather than respond by something that could be construed as abusive. Besides, this scholar will know that in Arabic, there is no such thing as a polite pronoun, to the best of my knowledge. One uses anta/anti for singular you, no matter who you are talking to. So, it's not the language that matters ultimately but one's intentions. The young man, quite innocently spoke in the manner he was used to, perhaps even a slip of the tongue. But, what can one say?

Last edited:

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    The young man was not a native speaker of Persian. He was trying out the lines he’d memorized from his textbook, that’s all.

Qureshpor

The young man was not a native speaker of Persian. He was trying out the lines he’d memorized from his textbook, that’s all.
    Even more the reason for the "scholar" to live up to his scholarship!