Persian: شائستگی چہ کتیت کہ پیش مرداں می آید

Gop

Tamil
Intezar Husain opens the chapter (16 of his book ChiraaGhoN kaa dhuaaN) titled “ انقلاب کی سواری حلقۂ ارباب ذوق تک تو آئی” with this saying:

شائستگی چہ کتیت کہ پیش مرداں می آید

What does this mean?

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    شائستگی چہ کتیست کہ پیش مرداں می آید

Gope SaaHib, good writers of the present and especially of yonder years expected their readers to be well versed not only in Urdu literature but at least have a smattering of the understanding of Persian literature (Sa'di, Hafiz, Rumi, Khusrau) as well as contents of the Qur'an. That is why you will find quotes from old masters, Persian sayings and proverbs and Arabic quotes from the Qur'an. This unfortunately is not the case of the modern generation. I know Persian is not taught in schools in Pakistan and you will be more familiar with the plight of Urdu teaching in India.

I could be mistaken but the above may be idiomatically translated as:

Why should decency get in the way of people / Why should decency be an obstacle for the people / Why should politeness be an hinderance for the people.

شائستگی Decency/politeness

چہ what (kind of)

کتیست (kate-st) a canal is

کہ that

پیشِ مرداں in front of men/people

می آید comes

شائستگی can be replaced by, say قانون

Why should law get in the way of the people (They will do whatever thet feel like doing).

Gop

Tamil
    شائستگی چہ کتیست کہ پیش مرداں می آید

Gope SaaHib, good writers of the present and especially of yonder years expected their readers to be well versed not only in Urdu literature but at least have a smattering of the understanding of Persian literature (Sa'di, Hafiz, Rumi, Khusrau) as well as contents of the Qur'an. That is why you will find quotes from old masters, Persian sayings and proverbs and Arabic quotes from the Qur'an. This unfortunately is not the case of the modern generation. I know Persian is not taught in schools in Pakistan and you will be more familiar with the plight of Urdu teaching in India.

I could be mistaken but the above may be idiomatically translated as:

Why should decency get in the way of people / Why should decency be an obstacle for the people / Why should politeness be an hinderance for the people.

شائستگی Decency/politeness

چہ what (kind of)

کتیست (kate-st) a canal is

کہ that

پیشِ مرداں in front of men/people

می آید comes

شائستگی can be replaced by, say قانون

Why should law get in the way of the people (They will do whatever thet feel like doing).
    Qureshpor SaaHib, I am in total agreement about your views and sentiments. Fortunately you are there for me!
    The next line in the text explicitly says:

بیان بازیاں ، نعرے، گالم گلوچ، تو تو میں میں، لپاڑگی، میرا ہاتھ تیرا گریبان، تیرا ہاتھ میرا گریبان،، وقت کا دستور اب یہی تھا۔