Persian: شير

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
In our Persian, šir can mean lion, milk and faucet :confused: :) But in the past "lion" and "milk" words were pronounced differently. The best witness is a poem from Rumi (Mawlana):

كار پاكان را قياس از خود مگير / گر چه ماند در نبشتن شير و شير

This poem demonstrates that at least up to the time of Rumi (AD 1207-1273), šir (milk) and šēr (lion) were pronounced differently although having identical written form thanks to versatile Perso-Arabic script :cool:

Are they still pronounced differently in Eastern Persian dialects? since as far as I know, they have still long e (ē).

And if you use the same word for "faucet" how do you pronounce it?

- pišâpiš sepâsgozâram (پیشاپیش سپاسگزارم)

• MOST-WANTED

Afghanistan
    In our Persian, šir can mean lion, milk and faucet :confused: :) But in the past "lion" and "milk" words were pronounced differently. The best witness is a poem from Rumi (Mawlana):

This poem demonstrates that at least up to the time of Rumi (AD 1207-1273), šir (milk) and šēr (lion) were pronounced differently although having identical written form thanks to versatile Perso-Arabic script :cool:

Are they still pronounced differently in Eastern Persian dialects? since as far as I know, they have still long e (ē).

And if you use the same word for "faucet" how do you pronounce it?

- pišâpiš sepâsgozâram (پیشاپیش سپاسگزارم)
    We still pronounce it differently.
    One is Shair Lion with a dash underneathe (ya)ی
    شیِر

-------------------------------------------------------
    And the other is Sheer شیَر

In Sheer (milk)the dash is above the
    (ya)ی

And I remember we had a game in class two or three.
    Anyone who can say this lines quickly without mistake would have been the winner.
    Though i dont remember how exactly it was. But something like this
    ........شیر شیر در پشتئ شیر در مشکِ شیر

tristero

USA/English
    They're different in Kurdish: "milk" is "şîr", while "lion" is "şêr".

I have an old Kurdish grammar book that quotes an old Persian saying, in which the difference used to be plain but no longer is:

این شیر است که آدم میخورد، و آن شیر است که آدم میخورد

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish

I have an old Kurdish grammar book that quotes an old Persian saying, in which the difference used to be plain but no longer is:

In Kurdish "faucet" is also called "şêr" as in "şêr" for "lion". Actually some people in Kermanshah also say "şêr" for "poem".

Regards
    Tisia

Alijsh

Persian - Iran

Thanks for telling me about Kurdish. I think you mean this poem:

آن یکی شیر است اندر بادیه — و آن دگر شیر است اندر بادیه
    آن یکی شیر است که آدم می خورد — و آن دگر شیر است که آدم می خورد

You can't say which one is for milk and which for lion :cool: especially that bâdiye has also two meanings: desert; copper container​

In Kurdish "faucet" is also called "şêr" as in "şêr" for "lion". Actually some people in Kermanshah also say "şêr" for "poem".
    Thanks. It's important to know "faucet" is similar to which one. Yes we also say şêr for "poem" in spoken language. It applies to all middle glottal stops. They drop but their preceding vowel is articulated longer. Good luck!

We still pronounce it differently.
    One is Shair Lion with a dash underneathe (ya)ی
    شیِر

-------------------------------------------------------
    And the other is Sheer شیَر

In Sheer (milk)the dash is above the
    (ya)ی
    Thank you. Do you ever use these dashes (diacritics) in written Persian to differentiate them or you have done this here for explanation? You know, its meaning is cleared in the context.

soheil1

Banned
    Iran-Farsi

Really?
    He means the pronounciation or the intent?!
    I remember when I was a child, my late grandpa used to say:
    سهیل ما شیره، پاکتی، پاکتی:D
    But yes, it is long /i/ sound
    And the version I knew of was در نوشتن شیر هست مانند شیر check your version

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >