Persian: صفات بهار و مجلس عشرت ساختن خسرو با شيرين

Saposcat1132

English - United States
I'm doing a translation of an article from Turkish into English. The article is concerned with poets from 14th-century Anatolia. Anyhow, there are a number of extracts from poems in the article, and these are in Turkish.

However, Ottoman and pre-Ottoman poets in Turkey typically used Persian, not Turkish, for the headings or titles of the different sections of long poems such as mesnevis, and one of these headings is quoted in the article I'm translating. It's in the modern Turkish alphabet in the article, of course, but in the Arabo-Persian script it would be this:

صفات بهار و مجلس عشرت ساختن خسرو با شيرين

I'm still learning Persian myself (I'd say I'm about early intermediate or so), so I know all the words and names there, no problem. However, I'm still not very good on the subject of long infinitives like ساختن and exactly how they interact with all the elements around them, so that ساختن is confusing me there a bit (along with a couple of other things).

Anyhow, to cut an already long story short, could anyone clarify the (more or less exact) meaning of this heading for me? I would appreciate any help very much.

Last edited:
  • kmaro

Russian
    Hi there

Well, it basically means

The description of spring and joy of Khosraw and Shirin.

عشرت ساختن here means rejoicing, having a good time

Hope it helps,

Saposcat1132

English - United States
    The description of spring and joy of Khosraw and Shirin.

عشرت ساختن here means rejoicing, having a good time

Thanks. I think I might need to clarify my question a bit more, though.

In the context of the article I'm translating, مجلس عشرت means effectively "drinking party" (i.e., "a party or gathering where wine is drunk and there are various forms of entertainment"). As a result, مجلس عشرت ساختن means, I suppose, "the arranging/organizing/setting up/etc. of the drinking party". That much, I've understood.

The trouble for me comes in the meaning of the ezafe that links the long infinitive ساختن to the subsequent characters خسرو با شيرين. I know the ezafe can carry a number of different meanings, but is there anything here that gives a clue as to which meaning is meant?

In other words:

1. Is the drinking party set up for Khosraw and Shirin?
    2. Is it set up by Khosraw and Shirin?
    3. Or is it set up primarily by Khosraw but working with Shirin?

I ask this because of the fact that Khosraw and Shirin are linked by با and not—as I would have expected—by و. Does the use of با here give any clue as to whether meaning (1), (2), or (3) is intended?

Thanks again and in advance for taking the time to answer.

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    You're right Saposcat1132. majles sâxtan means "to arrange a party/meeting". ešrat has two meanings: "company, society, companionship" and "in-pleasure-spending". Here, I think it means "arranging a companionship meeting of khosrow with Shirin". So, Khosrow arranges and is the host. However, we must consider the context and translate according to it. Does the Turkish article depict a "arranging a meeting/rendezvous" or as you say, "party"?

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hi. I too think the third guess is the correct one. The meeting must have been set up by Khosro, with the purpose of merry-making with Shirin.

Last edited: