Persian: قارچ qārch 'mushroom'

eskandar

English (US)
This word seems to be of Turkic origin (and is identified as such by various dictionaries), yet I couldn't find a similar word for 'mushroom' in any modern Turkic language. Does anyone know what the source word might have been?

• bragpipes

English - USA
    I looked but couldn't find anything. A word like that should be something like karç or karıç in modern Turkish, but none exists (for mushroom or fungus). Older versions of Turkish would probably have it as qarç or even qarıc (that's a hard dj ج).

Kurdish wikipedia shows the word as قارچک or کارگ . So this means that the word could have been with a k (less likely) or Kurds got it at two separate stages, once when it was q and once after the q=k shift had been started. The first Kurdish one qárček could be interpreted in seveal ways, it looks like the diminutive form, whether Kurds added it from qár(č) or the word took the Turkish diminutive cık, both cases open the possibility that the root is qar only.

The second Kurdish form, kar(vowel?)g increases the likelihood of the root being qar alone. Karg is not a very Turkic word, so we could be looking as something that's like karıg (older) or karığ (closer to now).

So you have to search for:

kar
    karığ
    karıg
    karç
    karıç
    karçık
    karcık
    qarığ
    qarıg
    qarç
    qarıç
    qarçık
    qarcık

The Kurdish (latin) wikipedia's page on mushroom also lists:

Karg
    Karîk
    Qarçik
    Karkulîlk
    Kufkar
    Kivkarik

Which sort of gives the sense that the root itself is kar/qar.

The closest thing I found is Козу карын (qozu qarın) which is (generic) "mushroom" in Kyrgyz. While qarın by itself means "true morels"

Uzbek has the word: qo'ziqorin for mushroom.

And that's my dead-end.
    Maybe someone with a better understand of Turkic etymologies can help.

< Previous | Next >