Persian: لطفاً

< Previous | Next >

Daffodil100

Chinese
Hello,
Could you please tell me what ً

stands for in لطفاً?

I refer to the symbol on the top of last letter.

Thank you!

• Aryamp

Persian
    That symbol is called "tanvin تنوین " and comes from arabic script. اً is pronounced "an" so لطفاً is pronounced : Lotfan

It is an adverb-making suffix , and in persian it is only used in words with arabic origin and so these words have retained their original arabic spelling.

Some examples :

قانون (qânun) = law
    قانوناً (qânunan) = lawfully

جدید (jadid) = new , recent
    جدیداً (jadidan) = newly , recently

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    It is an adverb-making suffix , and in persian it is only used in words with arabic origin and so these words have retained their original arabic spelling.

Some examples :

قانون (qânun) = law
    قانوناً (qânunan) = lawfully

جدید (jadid) = new , recent
    جدیداً (jadidan) = newly , recently

aaqaa-ye-aryamp.

Are you 100% sure that those words are only of Arabic origins? At least in Urdu we use andaaz-an which is Persian. Are you aware of other Persian nouns like this one that can be made into adverbs? We also use fareb-an.

Aryamp

Persian
    aaqaa-ye-aryamp.

Are you 100% sure that those words are only of Arabic origins? At least in Urdu we use andaaz-an which is Persian. Are you aware of other Persian nouns like this one that can be made into adverbs? We also use fareb-an.
    I'm sorry maybe I should have said more accurately "it must only be used" . Obviously you can use a grammar rule with any word! Just like I can say "computer-ha / computer-i" applying the grammar rules to loan words is very common and happens in every language.

Many loan words come with a bit of grammar from the original language though , just like the word "computer" which comes with the suffix "er" now Persian linguistics believe it's wrong to extract the grammar from the loan words and apply it to Persian words.

So the use of a word like "تلفناً " is totally justifiable in Arabic language however in Persian it's not right (even though many people wrongly use it ) since we can use Persian grammar and say تلفنی

No doubt one can apply Arabic grammar to any word but in Persian it would be a mistake to use Arabic grammar for non-Arabic words.

puya

Farsi
    aaqaa-ye-aryamp.

Marrish, In our highschool Farsi book we were strongly discouraged agains using arabic constructs on farsi words. Tanvin for non-arabic words is a good example: however there were fairly common before 20th century but now words like
    گاها, تلفنا
    are seriously frown upon hence they're on the way to extinction.
    There is also a tendency to use use simple ن instead of tanvin. So now you see more and more:
    قبلن, فعلن, کتبن, لطفن

< Previous | Next >