Persian: لندن‌کاری

PersoLatin

UK
Persian - Iran
I came across this term recently, it refers to the art of painting intricately cut plaster carvings & mouldings. I want to know what لندن means here, I have been told لندن/Landan refers to London in UK but can’t find anything to prove/disprove this assumption.

Can anyone help plz?

Last edited:
  • Godot.

Persian
    probably the idea was first born by London plasterers
    Or perhaps because of the travel of kings, this art has been imitated and imported into the country
    so we call it لندنی
    لندنی صفت نسبی هست یعنی متعلق یامنسوب به لندن

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Or perhaps because of the travel of kings, this art has been imitated and imported into the country
    so we call it لندنی
    I think that must be it but you'd think there will be some evidence somewhere, but then why not call it انگلیسی کاری, I suppose like some older generation Iranians when they say 'London' the mean 'England'.

There's also لندنی کاری with the same meaning.

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    Are these terms similar to میناکاری, or do they indicate something different (architecturally)?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Are these terms similar to میناکاری, or do they indicate something different (architecturally)?
    No they are very different. مینا is a Persian word for glaze/enamel, میناکاری is an old craft of glazing ornaments, plates, jugs etc, the other two are relatively modern with non-Persian words, ورشوسازی is 'metal works' using ورشو(nickel) which is for 'Warsaw' as has been said, must be via Russian (??), and لندنی کاری is used in decoration of walls & furniture.

Alfaaz

English
    PersoLatin said:
    No they are very different. مینا is a Persian word for glaze/enamel, میناکاری is an old craft of glazing ornaments, plates, jugs etc, the other two are relatively modern with non-Persian words, ورشوسازی is 'metal works' using ورشو(nickel) which is for 'Warsaw' as has been said, must be via Russian (??), and لندنی کاری is used in decoration of walls & furniture.
    Thanks for the interesting information.