Persian: ندی

marrish

اُردو Urdu
Hi,

What does the word ندی stand for in the following phrase which I've come across in a text message?

جوین ندی از دستت رفته

I don't expect the following definition from the Steingass dictionary to be of any help, however it indirectly points to the possibility of it being a proper name.

1) ندی (p. 1394) A ندی nadá (v.n.), Being moist, humid, wet; moisture, rain, wetness (of ground), day-dew (sadá denoting night-dew); munificence; a gift; — nadī, fem. ندیة nadiyat, nadiya, Moist; [nadī ʼl-kaf, Liberal, generous;] — nadīy, in P. nadī, A congregation, council, assembly; one who calls with a loud voice, who halloos; liberal, munificent.

Many thanks for a quick response.

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hi, marrish. "Nadi", here, is a verb addressing a second person and standing for "click in", "insert", "register", "signal", or "respond with", where the verb implies a condition:
    (If) you will not respond with a "join", you (will) have missed it, 'it' being 'some chance'.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Hi, marrish. "Nadi", here, is a verb addressing a second person and standing for "click in", "insert", "register", "signal", or "respond with", where the verb implies a condition:
    (If) you will not respond with a "join", you (will) have missed it, 'it' being 'some chance'.
    Thank you very much for this lucid explanation. Is it similar to "Lest you miss it"?

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Do you mean such a construction: "Click now, lest you miss the opportunity"? I think you have the right idea. But I would try to see the sentence more as following the pattern of the common conditional sentence. The fact that the word for "if" ("agar") is missing comes from the sentence having been spoken or written in a sort of a shorthand.

Some examples:
    درس نخوانی رد می‌شوی
    درس نخونی رد می‌شی
    If you don't study, you will fail (the exam).

دیر کنی رفته‌ام
    If you be late, I (will) have departed.

رازم را بگویم مرا نخواهد بخشید
    If I reveal my secret she will not forgive me.

Perhaps I ought to have pointed out that ندی is the colloquial form of ندهی, "if you not give".

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Looks like the person who said this didn’t know what ‘join’ means otherwise they would have used نکنی or even نشی (colloquial for نشوی)
    Yet the practice of constructing compound verbs using "to give" is not entirely without precedent:

خبر دادن: to inform, to pass on some news.

انصراف دادن: to decline to join, to declare the intent to withdraw from something.

رد دادن: to be wasted in a conspicuous way, to fall short, to fail to step up.

I think the idea common to all such verbs is the open nature of the action, the sense that there is a recipient involved.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Yet the practice of constructing compound verbs using "to give" is not entirely without precedent:

خبر دادن: to inform, to pass on some news.

انصراف دادن: to decline to join, to declare the intent to withdraw from something.

رد دادن: to be wasted in a conspicuous way, to fall short, to fail to step up.
    Yes of course when it is appropriate but 'join' doesn't fall in that category.

In fact I have heard 'join' with کردن many times by Iranians in the UK and US, including myself, basically I/they use some English verbs followed by an 'appropriate' Persian verb, such verbs as 'to miss/join/invite' are always followed by کردن, my point was that the person who used دادن with 'join' could not have been from such group of Iranians.

And welcome back mannoushka :)

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    We could name the practice PersoLatin Speak, then, couldn't we! I wonder, though, if join kardan isn't slightly different in meaning to join daadan. In the former, the meaning is straight forward: joining a club, joining a group of friends for a drink, etc., whereas the latter implies that the decision to join is submitted to another person or to others in general; the "join" is given, shared.

truce

Persian
    In colloquial Persian on the Internet there is an expression (لفت دادن) mostly used in WhatsApp & Telegram groups, meaning "to leave the group".
    Example:
    اگر گروه رو لفت ندی هک میشی If you don't leave the group you'll be hacked.

The case mentioned in the OP seems to be derived from the pattern of "لفت دادن".

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    PersoLatin, the verb you are thinking of must be لفتش دادن where ش is the impersonal pronoun, I believe.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Dehkhoda, in a not so clear way says لفتش دادن is derived from لفت دادن
    That's clearly expected, and thanks for pointing it out: the ش is a sort of a permanent addition in "drag out ".
    Not to veer offtrack too much, I was just going to add that idiom verbs such as جوین‌دادن and لفت‌دادن are fast spilling over into usage outside the context of social media platforms, at least in my experience; they are not so slang-like now as they used to be at one point.