Persian: هیچ

• eskandar

English (US)
    Could be a number of things, but my guess is that the reference is to this quatrain attributed to Omar Khayyam:

بنگر ز جهان چه طرف بربستم؟ هیچ
    وز حاصل عمر چیست در دستم؟ هیچ
    شمع طربم ولی چو بنشستم، هیچ
    من جام جمم ولی چو بشکستم، هیچ

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    there is a lot of T-shirts and jewelry and even sculptures of هیچ all written in the same or similar calligraphic form.
    Ali, the first link is now dead. I prefer you try to attach just one picture directly to your posts instead of relying on external links that when/if dead will affect the clarity of your posts.
    The art in question is by Parviz Tanavoli, if that helps.
    Thank you for the reference, Eskandar. Based on this sentence from the Wiki page:
    Tanavoli is known for his heeches, three dimensional representations of the Persian word for 'nothing', heech.
    I would like to ask if the word has a special meaning in Persian, and if it's different from the word عدم (I think it's used in Persian, no?)

Thanks.

Mnemon

Parsi
    Hello guys,

there is a lot of T-shirts and jewelry and even sculptures of هیچ all written in the same or similar calligraphic form.
    This seems to refer to something. Does anyone know?
    It reminds me of a poem composed by Mawlānā:

دنيا همه هيچ و اهل دنيا همه هيچ
    ای هيچ برای هيچ بر هيچ مپيچ
    دانی که پس از عمر چه ماند باقی؟
    مهر است و محبت است و باقی همه هيچ

Hope it helps.

Kamandar

English - US
    It reminds me of a poem composed by Mawlānā:

دنيا همه هيچ و اهل دنيا همه هيچ
    ای هيچ برای هيچ بر هيچ مپيچ
    دانی که پس از عمر چه ماند باقی؟
    مهر است و محبت است و باقی همه هيچ

Hope it helps.
    I like your idea, but I think eskandar is right about Parviz Tanavoli. His usage of هیچ as a three-dimensional artform seems to fit these trinkets and clothing.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I would like to ask if the word has a special meaning in Persian, and if it's different from the word عدم (I think it's used in Persian, no?)
    عدم is used in Persian and almost always means the opposite of وجود so lack/loss/absence of (nothingness) whereas هیج means ‘nothing’

Last edited:

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    Ali, the first link is now dead. I prefer you try to attach just one picture directly to your posts instead of relying on external links that when/if dead will affect the clarity of your posts.
    Aye aye.

The OP asks that what this "هیچ" refers to, where this idea has come from? and I just made a guess.
    Yes. The usage of هیچ as an artistic expression can evidently be found in many sources. It's quite possible that Parviz Tanavoli ist also referring to the same shared idea, being an Iranian.

Anyway, thanks for all of your efforts.

< Previous | Next >