Persian: پرخاشخر

PersoLatin

UK
Persian - Iran
I was looking up a word and came across پرخاشخر (see here) , mainly in Ferdôsi's work, it not related to پرخاشگر, there's also پرخاشخور (-xor) which can only be the correct version of پرخاشخر despite خر- being pronounced as 'xar' and not 'xor', I am assuming suffix خور derives from خوردن, with the same meaning as inزمین/بر خوردن ‏, is that correct?

• truce

Persian
    I reckon that "خر" is related to "خریدن" as it is indirectly mentioned in the provided link above (خریدار جنگ).
    A word with similar structure:
    شرخر = debt collector
    Although both "پرخاشخر" and "پرخاشخور" share similar appearance & meaning, they might be derived from different verb roots. (I mean "خوردن" & "خریدن")

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    "خر" is related to "خریدن" as it is indirectly mentioned in the provided link above (خریدار جنگ).
    I saw that but dictionaries seem to include any reference which is in popular use, correct or otherwise.

For پرخاشخور Dehkhoda says: "پرخاشخور. [ پ َ خوَرْ / خَر ] (نف مرکب ) شجاع و جنگجوی و جنگ آور باشد؟ (برهان ). رجوع به پرخاشخر شود."
    so isn't it more likely that خوَرْ/xvar changed to خَر.

شرخر = debt collector
    شرخر 'buys' the right to the debt which gives them the right to 'collect' it, either by themselves or by someone in their employment, so خر/xar, as you say is derived from خریدن.