Persian: پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود

sehrehalal

English - US
Hi all,

Working with a short story and don't really get the image here, can some natives describe to me how they envision this scene ?

پشت پنجره‌های دو طرف کوچه٬ پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود و هوا بوی هیزم و نفت سوخته می‌داد.

It is simply some figurative language here? The curtain hangs 'from the heat of the furnaces'??

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Behind the windows on both sides of the street, a curtain of heat from the stoves was hanging while the air smelt of burnt wood and oil.

(Not a native speaker, I am afraid).

sehrehalal

English - US
    Thanks in any case, this is very helpful! So there is essentially a 'curtain' of hot air ? This would make sense since later he talks about the condensation on the windows and the obscured view... Can anyone confirm ?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Yes it is ‘a curtain of heat’, This is an interesting style with many figurative references.

truce

Persian
    To me something is wrong with that sentence. The "ی" in red color (shown below) seems to be amiss, making a jarring sentence. It is expected the "ی" in red to be omitted.

پشت پنجره‌های دو طرف کوچه٬ پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود و هوای بوی هیزم و نفت سوخته می‌داد

Last edited:

sehrehalal

English - US
    To me something is wrong with that sentence. The "ی" in red color (shown below) seem to be amiss and makes a jarring sentence. It is expected that the "ی" in red to be omitted.

پشت پنجره‌های دو طرف کوچه٬ پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود و هوای بوی هیزم و نفت سوخته می‌داد
    Thanks, you are correct, that is a typo! It shouldn't be there. Luckily that wasn't the part that was giving me trouble :) I removed it from the original post

sehrehalal

English - US
    Yes it is ‘a curtain of heat’, This is an interesting style with many figurative references.
    Thanks, that helps a lot. It seems obvious now, but I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten it without the help of the forum members. Yes, this is from Bijan Najdi, he likes to describe things very circuitously!

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    he likes to describe things very circuitously!
    I think he gets to the point quickly, he uses sentences cleverly and crams in information which provides a visual in the reader's mind:
    ‏با ران ‏با ‏صدا ی ‏ناودان ‏و ‏چتر ‏و ‏آسفالت،‏ ‏میبارید
    or
    .و کنار نفس نفس کشیدن و صدا ی پاشنه ی کفش هایش تقریباً میدوید ....

Also as you have also suggested پرده‌ای here پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود refers to 'condensation on the glass' and in reality it refers not to a 'curtain of heat ', rather 'curtain of condensation caused by heat', the end result may be the same but there's a difference.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would like to ask our Persian speaking friends, if for the sentence...

پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود

....we had...

پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویختہ بود

What would the difference be in the final meaning of the sentence?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویزان بود

....we had...

پرده‌ای از گرمای بخاری‌ها آویختہ بود

What would the difference be in the final meaning of the sentence?
    There’s no difference in meaning between the two sentences as here آویخته and آویزان are identical except in register, with the former being more formal/bookish.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >