Persian: پشت بر کوه ست طاقت تکیه تا بر رحمتست

Shounak

Bengali
Hello All,

The entire line stands as this (most probably Ghalib)
پست بر کوه ست طاقت تکیه تا بر رحمتست
کار دشوارست و ما بر خویش آسان کرده ایم

Meaning of the second line is clear. What is the meaning of تکیه , پست and رحمتست ? Koh means mountain.

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hello, Shounak. Is it by any chance possible the first word is پشت, posht? If so, the words together mean that so long as one is relying on compassion, one has one’s back covered by mountains, i.e. the mountain backs one’s stamina with its strength.

Shounak

Bengali
    Hello, Shounak. Is it by any chance possible the first word is پشت, posht? If so, the words together mean that so long as one is relying on compassion, one has one’s back covered by mountains, i.e. the mountain backs one’s stamina with its strength.

No. I am very sure it is "pst". If it is a printing mistake, then I don't know. Attaching a screen shot.
    Untitled.png

Last edited:

Shounak

Bengali
    Request you to tell which word denotes compassion.

Shounak

Bengali
    mannoushka, I think you are right. Replaced by the word پشت بر کوه طاقت تکیه تابر رحمتست it means so. One has one’s back covered by mountains , do you want to say the strength is as strong as the mountain?

Can it also mean "Behind every mountain is the strength to rely on mercy"? Correct me if I am wrong.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    So, does it mean that if someone has mercy then he/she does not have to fear?
    Not quite, unless the context indicates so. I suspect the suggestion in this beit, standing alone as it is here, is that the Lord bestows mercy and compassion on the faithful meek, who then feel as strong as if they are being supported by a rock, and can consequently withstand such “slings and arrows” that are aimed at them, in a manner of speaking.

Shounak

Bengali
    Not quite, unless the context indicates so. I suspect the suggestion in this beit, standing alone as it is here, is that the Lord bestows mercy and compassion on the faithful meek, who then feel as strong as if they are being supported by a rock, and can consequently withstand such “slings and arrows” that are aimed at them, in a manner of speaking.
    Great !!
    Thank for the help.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I honestly tried to come up with a plausible meaning to be had with پَست, meaning low or lowly, and failed. But who knows; maybe the poet was trying to convey that with the support of divine mercy, we lowly creatures can climb mountains.

Shounak

Bengali
    I honestly tried to come up with a plausible meaning to be had with پَست, meaning low or lowly, and failed. But who knows; maybe the poet was trying to convey that with the support of divine mercy, we lowly creatures can climb mountains.
    Thank you for your help. The overall meaning is now clear.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I read the first line as:
    پشت بر کوهست طاقت - تکیه تا بر رحمت است

Lit.: the ability to bear/stamina is backed by a mountain - as long as it is supported by/reliant on mercy.

Last edited: