Persian: چو بربندند بربندند

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
Hi, everyone.
Help is badly needed with rendering the first part of the couplet by Haafez clear:
به فتراک جفا جان‌ها چو بربندند بربندند
ز زلف عنبرین دل‌ها چو بگشایند بفشانند
I understand the meaning of each word, but have become doubtful about what is being said.
So, I previously understood the hemistich to mean, more or less, "finding a reward in cruelly enslaving souls, they will do just that".
Then I looked up the ghazal in a book of interpretations and footnotes on Haafez (by R. Zonnoor), where the meaning was given as "once they enslave souls in their cruel grip, that's it", or words to that effect. So that was a bit disheartening.
Which is correct? Could both interpretations be valid?
Ghazal reference: سمن‌بویان غبار غم چو بنشینند بنشانند
Thank you.‌

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    It is because souls are entrapped/enslaved/fettered to cruelty (that) they shut down/close up.

First بربندند is 'they are fettered' second بربندند is 'they shut down'

Last edited:

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Thanks, PersoLatin. I get your interpretation. 'Souls' acts first as the object of the sentence, then as the subject of the second sentence.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Exactly, the same goes for the rest of غزل, well most of them, I’d not come across these before, they are great.
    Great these couplets certainly are. The sentence structure is familiar enough. The words, though, seem to require poking and scrutunizing in order to be seen in a fresh light, just this once in the whole of Haafez, as if the poet meant for the reader to strive to reestablish coherence. All of this is only because syntax and meaning seem to oppose each other. Am I making any sense?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I agree and it all makes sense.

It is because souls are entrapped/enslaved/fettered to cruelty (that) they shut down/close up.

First بربندند is 'they are fettered' second بربندند is 'they shut down'
    I am now sure both بربندند have the same meaning entrapped/enslaved/fettered.

souls are trapped because souls are fettered to cruelty

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I am now sure both بربندند have the same meaning entrapped/enslaved/fettered.
    I see. This is sensible, and essentially the same as Zonnoor's interpretation. I used to take it for granted that the verb had to have two different meanings: by the straps of cruelty, as they ensnare souls, they are gratified. Perhaps this would be too complicated and not so elegant. Thanks for the discussion.