Persian: گنجِ روان

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
Hi, everyone! In the following couplet by Haafez e Shiraaz, what do you suppose the meaning of “گنجِ روان” is? Thank you!
خوش بود لبِ آب و گل و سبزه و نسرین
افسوس که آن گنجِ روان ره‌گذری بود

Ps. I should mention the couplet is to be found in the ghazal beginning with آن یار کزو خانه‌ی ما جای پری بود.

• Shandol

Persian - Parsi
    As you may have seen on this page, people have interpreted the expression differently. However, I very much prefer Sudi's explanation on that,

1606498538200.png

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I take the meaning of گنجِ روان as the treasure that is not permanent but comes and goes. My dictionary suggests it is "Name of Korah's treasure".

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    “flowing treasure”, one that is in perpetual motion, with treasure referring to the good times Hâfez describes in the rest of that piece.

Last edited:

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Thank you very much, everyone! So on one hand گنج روان consists of “the brook, the flowers, the grass, and the stars”, which in Nature move past or come and go with the seasons, and on the other it is possibly an old term specifically coined to allude to the famous Korah’s treasure, a windfall maybe, but tangible and countable nevertheless. Haafez may have deliberately crossbred the two references to better stress the sense of loss that pervades the poem. He does everything he does for a reason, as I have come to suspect. Still I can’t get over it. Close to magical it is.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Hâfez describes the companion in various ways, starting with a positive attribute:

از عیب بری faultless like an angel but ....
    یارش سفری unsettled
    دورش قمری short lived, like the moon’s cycle
    شیوه او پرده دری betrays secrets
    بی‌حاصلی و بی‌خبری pointlessness & not knowing.
    And then
    افسوس که آن گنج روان رهگذری بود
    And finally
    it is a shame that he/she was only passing through.

Last edited: