Persian: گهواره/gahvāré “cradle/crib”

PersoLatin

UK
Persian - Iran
گهواره or گاهواره is made up of گاه plus واره.

گاه generally means “time” but also “place” and واره "like or similar to", so why does that combination mean cradle? If an adult bed in the distant past was called خوابگاه then گاهواره could pass for a cradle, or is the time sense of گاه at play here, any ideas please?

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Steingass has these entries.

گاخواره gāḵẖwāra, A cradle (see گاهواره and گهواره).

گاواره gāwāra, A cradle; a herd of oxen.

گاه gāh, Time; place (always in composition); a throne; a golden seat; a noun of time and place; a crucible (for melting gold); the dawn (as bī-gāh means evening); a bed; a large cushion; the sign Capricorn; an alligator; office, dignity, public employment; a ditch dug for planting or preserving vines; a dimple in the chin; a bridegroom, wooer, suitor; sometimes, now and then;

گاهواره gāhwāra, A cradle.

Dekhoda has this definition for گاه and گاهواره

گاه. (اِ) سریر. تخت آراسته ٔ پادشاهان را. (صحاح الفرس ). تخت پادشاهان. (جهانگیری ) کرسی. (مهذب الاسماء). اورنگ. صندلی. عرش :

گاهواره. [ هَْ رَ / رِ ] (اِ مرکب ) (از: گاه (تخت ) + واره )، پهلوی گاهوارک

So could "gaah" (bed) and "vaar" (in the manner of/like) combine to imply a structure that is "bed-like"?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    گاه. (اِ) سریر. تخت آراسته ٔ پادشاهان را. (صحاح الفرس ). تخت پادشاهان. (جهانگیری ) کرسی. (مهذب الاسماء). اورنگ. صندلی. عرش
    Thank you for this, I was completely unaware of this meaning of گاه.

So could "gaah" (bed) and "vaar" (in the manner of/like) combine to imply a structure that is "bed-like"?
    Yes, this is exactly what this is.

In fact this explains another word that always baffled me and that is جایگاه which I now know means “place of throne”, or a high place where the royals/VIPs sit.

Do we know another compound of گاه which implies/means ‘place’?

l only knew جایگاه before but it is clear now that the ‘place’ sense of it, is provided by جا and not by گاه.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Regarding جایگاہ , I started a thread but did n't get too far with it.

Persian: جایگاه

"Do we know another compound of گاه which implies/means ‘place’? "

What about درگاہ and بارگاہ? Also شکار گاہ, پناہ گاہ, آرامگاہ, کمین گاہ and many more.

And of more recent vintage ایستگاہ

In Urdu, the word شرمگاہ is used as a polite term for human sexual organs.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    What about درگاہ and بارگاہ? Also شکار گاہ, پناہ گاہ, آرامگاہ, کمین گاہ and many more.
    i can see شکارگاه being a platform from which animals are stalked & hunted so گاه is the platform or تخت.
    In fact ‌I believe in all above examples if you replace گاه with platform/تخت you will see they makes sense & work well.

So looks like گاه has taken on the meaning of ‘place’ by association, and of course it never means place on its own.

There are also: دادگاه باشگاه دستگاه پرشگاه پرتگاه دانشگاه قرارگاه آتشگاه کارگاه‌ پرستشگاه درمانگاه بنگاه فرودگاه فروشگاه نمایشگاه بازداشتگاه پالایشگاه پرورشگاه آزمایشگاه

I suspect گاه meaning throne/تخت has a different etymology to گاه meaning time.

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Found these in MacKenzie Pahlavi Dictionary:

1605887265347.png

In compounds, it can mean one of the following
    1605887175995.png

Its three meanings together:

1605887392329.png

In Urdu, the word شرمگاہ is used as a polite term for human sexual organs.
    1605886665900.png

Attachments

• 1605886889227.png
      1605886889227.png
      9.9 KB · Views: 74
    • 1605886976731.png
      1605886976731.png
      6 KB · Views: 93
    • 1605887029483.png
      1605887029483.png
      5 KB · Views: 71