Persian: یك دنیا ممنون از توضیحای عالیتان

< Previous | Next >

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
سلام

What is the meaning of يك دنيا in یك دنیا ممنون از توضیحای عالیتان?

And shouldn't the sentence have been از توضيحاى عاليتان يك دنيا ممنون? The order seems wrong in the original sentence.

متشكرم

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hi, Ali Smith. The word order switch-round is similar to that between ‘for your help, many thanks’ and ‘many thanks for your help’. Your preferred sentence may be matched with ‘many thanks ...’, as a mirror image.

Yek donyaa mamnun (‘thanks a world’) is just a stock phrase which is more informal than, for instance, ‘my debt of gratitude to you knows no bounds’.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    What is the meaning of يك دنيا in یك دنیا ممنون از توضیحای عالیتان?

And shouldn't the sentence have been از توضيحاى عاليتان يك دنيا ممنون? The order seems wrong in the original sentence.
    Why should the original sentence be wrong and yours right?

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Because by default the verb comes at the end. Of course, there's no explicit verb in this sentence, but it's implied:

از توضيحاى عاليتان يك دنيا ممنونم

In fact, if I am not mistaken, you can express the verb here, but it's more common not to.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I mean, coming across a new phenomenon you'd rather ask for help to understand it, presuming it's correct, since it's original, not the opposite, especially when it's taken from a post by a fellow member.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Your first sentence describes the unmarked, neutral word order. The re-built version is just that -- no more a spontaneous utterance, it becomes quite formal, almost written-register Persian.
    I'd definitely add the verb here, BTW, but I wouldn't do it to the original.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Yes, you're right - I should have worded my question as follows: I don't understand why the word order is not از توضيحاى عاليتان يك دنيا ممنون :oops:

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I mean, coming across a new phenomenon you'd rather ask for help to understand it, presuming it's correct, since it's original, not the opposite, especially when it's taken from a post by a fellow member.
    I respectfully disagree. You see, to pose a challenge is typically just another, perhaps more critical, way of inquiring, and it can be profoundly transformative for natives who tend to take their language for granted, their knowledge of it a sure thing. In this particular case the bringing up of a doubt can serve to establish that word order is in fact fluid in certain parts. Take this as a further example of fluidity:
    ممنون یک دنیا برای توضیح عالی‌تان

My personal rule is, if it provokes an actual discussion bringing to light rules and reasons, misconceptions, blind spots, and possible habits of speaking incorrectly or even teaching badly, then a challenge should in fact be encouraged.

On the question of teaching badly, I could have stressed before that had the original speaker said,
    برای توضیح عالی‌تان یک دنیا ممنون
    the word order would have underscored more the “superb explanation”, allowing it to justify yet slightly weaken the thanking part.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    I just realized I should have translated it as follows:

I am extremely grateful for your superb explanations.
    از توضيحهاى عاليتان يك دنيا ممنون

< Previous | Next >