Persian/Arabic/Turkish: Professions

Bienvenidos

Senior Member
USA
Afghanistan/USA
Are there similarities between professions?

My attempt at accented Romanized Farsi:

ú - oo as in food
í - ee as in meet
ao - ou as in shout

WITHOUT ACCENTS:
u - u as in under

FARSI
Doctor - doctor
Teacher - mulim
Maid - múzdúr
Singer - honunduh
Lawyer - whakíl
Chef - oshpuz

Cleaning - pok-carí (informal)


Bien
 
  • cherine

    Moderator
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi, This one is good too :) :thumbsup:
    I'll add the Arabic, and I think others may contribute too. We can find further similarities

    Doctor - doctor We use this word in colloquial, I think it's a borrowed word from a European language. There's a FusHa word for a doctor: Tabíb طبيب, which the French took in toubib.
    Many years ago, in Egypt, people used to call a doctor 7akím حكيم
    Teacher - mulim This one is almost identical : mu3allim معلم though we also have mudarris مدرس , hence the word madrasa مدرسة (school)
    Maid - múzdúr - we say khaadema خادمة (literally: servant)
    Singer - honunduh - mughanni مغنى or motrib مطرب
    Lawyer - whakíl We say mo7aami, but wakil is a word used to mean a deputy, but we use the verb from wakil to say we used the services of a lawyer وكّل محاميًا
    Chef - oshpuz If you mean chef cuisinier, we say chef شيف
    Cleaning - pok-carí (informal) - tanzíf تنظيف
     

    cherine

    Moderator
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Very interesting :
    Wazír - vice president
    This same word is used in Arabic, and means minister وزير
    the ministry is wizaara وزارة
    Uskur - soldier
    In Arabic, there's 3askar عسكر the plural is عساكر
    ---------
    Now what about the word that end with the suffix "gui" (or "ji"), I think they're from Turkish, but we sure need confirmation :
    agzagui (not much used this days, but still understood) : Colloquial Egyptian Arabic = pharmacist, the pharmacy is agzakhana (also the suffix "khana" is borrowed)
    3arbagui : HansWehr translate is a "coachman", but we use it for the driver of a certain type of carts.
    baltagui : gangster (the word balta means "ax", I think it was the "arm" used by gangster in old times)
    tamargui : nurse (man, the feminine is tamarguiya)

    I'll keep posting what I can remember :)
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    cherine said:
    Very interesting :
    Wazír - vice president
    This same word is used in Arabic, and means minister وزير
    the ministry is wizaara وزارة
    Uskur - soldier
    In Arabic, there's 3askar عسكر the plural is عساكر
    ---------
    Now what about the word that end with the suffix "gui" (or "ji"), I think they're from Turkish, but we sure need confirmation :
    agzagui (not much used this days, but still understood) : Colloquial Egyptian Arabic = pharmacist, the pharmacy is agzakhana (also the suffix "khana" is borrowed)
    3arbagui : HansWehr translate is a "coachman", but we use it for the driver of a certain type of carts.
    baltagui : gangster (the word balta means "ax", I think it was the "arm" used by gangster in old times)
    tamargui : nurse (man, the feminine is tamarguiya)

    I'll keep posting what I can remember :)
    It actually looks like the word for soldier is the same (they may look different due to my attempted Romanization!) Askar (Uskur)....look (and I think sound) the same!

    Pharmacist - duwosauce
    Nurse - borrowed word from English (Nurrce, the E is silent)

    INTERESTING!!
    KHANA comes from Farsi. Khana means house. Thus, duwo is medicine and khana is house, so duwokhana is pharmacy (literally: house of medicine). Also, chufa is health, hospital is chufakhana. Murg is death, murgkhana is a funeral home. Díwana is crazy, diwanakhana is a mental home. Bundí is to be jailed, bundíkhana is a jail. We also use the term zindon for jail. Sorry for this vulgarity, but físha means whore, and a fishakhana is a brothel.

    What about

    JUDGE - kahzí

    (It seems like most legal terms are similar)

    Bien
     

    cherine

    Moderator
    Arabic (Egypt).
    This is getting more interesting Bien :)

    Thus, duwo is medicine and khana is house, so duwokhana is pharmacy (literally: house of medicine).
    In Arabic, the word for medicine is dawaa2 دواء (my "a" is equivalent of your "u", I'm just sticking to the "a" by habit)
    The currently used word for pharmacy is saydaleyya صيدلية

    Also, chufa is health, hospital is chufakhana.
    This is almost amusing: in Egypt we use chufakhana شفخانة for the slaughterhouse مجزر

    JUDGE - kahzí
    Yes, in Arabic he's qaadi قاضى I think the Farsi took this one from Arabic, there's even a verb for giving a sentence/punishment قَضَى

    Cool:cool:
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    cherine said:
    Also, chufa is health, hospital is chufakhana.
    This is almost amusing: in Egypt we use chufakhana شفخانة for the slaughterhouse مجزر

    Cool:cool:
    Very cool! I can't believe that chufakhana is such an antonym between the languages! I'm sure the words are pronounced 100% the same, it's just the Romanized words that make them look different. :) I also use u by habit. :D DUWO is pronounced the same as DAWAA, just different ways of spelling it. :)

    Wow, learning about languages is a lot of fun, isn't it? You're the best, Cherine!

    Bien
     

    embisiz

    New Member
    Turkey
    Bienvenidos said:
    Are there similarities between professions?

    My attempt at accented Romanized Farsi:

    ú - oo as in food
    í - ee as in meet
    ao - ou as in shout

    WITHOUT ACCENTS:
    u - u as in under

    FARSI
    Doctor - doctor
    Teacher - mulim
    Maid - múzdúr
    Singer - honunduh
    Lawyer - whakíl
    Chef - oshpuz

    Cleaning - pok-carí (informal)


    Bien
    We say in Turkish like this (I only write the ones that have similar pronunciation):

    Doctor --> Doktor
    Wazír --> Vezir
    Uskur --> Asker

    and also:

    Brother --> Birader
    Pizza --> Pide

     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    embisiz said:
    We say in Turkish like this (I only write the ones that have similar pronunciation):

    Doctor --> Doktor
    Wazír --> Vezir
    Uskur --> Asker

    and also:

    Brother --> Birader
    Pizza --> Pide
    It looks like the word "asker" is the same (or very, very similar) in all three languages!

    Brother is the same in Farsi/Turkish! Birader is the written Farsi term for "brother", and the spoken term is very similar: byadur.

    Bien
     

    embisiz

    New Member
    Turkey
    Bienvenidos said:
    It looks like the word "asker" is the same (or very, very similar) in all three languages!

    Brother is the same in Farsi/Turkish! Birader is the written Farsi term for "brother", and the spoken term is very similar: byadur.

    Bien
    In Turkish there is no difference in the written and the spoken Turkish, so it is anyway Asker. :)
     

    TommyilRomano

    New Member
    USA
    U.S./Italia - English/Italiano
    embisiz said:
    We say in Turkish like this (I only write the ones that have similar pronunciation):

    Doctor --> Doktor
    Wazír --> Vezir
    Uskur --> Asker

    and also:

    Brother --> Birader
    Pizza --> Pide

    Ummm... In Turkish they also just say "Pizza" alot of the time.
     

    la tierra

    Member
    Turkish
    embisiz said:
    We say in Turkish like this (I only write the ones that have similar pronunciation):

    Doctor --> Doktor
    Wazír --> Vezir
    Uskur --> Asker

    and also:

    Brother --> Birader
    Pizza --> Pide
    we call pizza as pizza and pide is a little diffrent from pizza. Maybe we call pide as Turkish pizza:D
     

    Honour

    Senior Member
    Türkçe, Türkiye
    Bienvenidos said:
    Are there similarities between professions?


    Lawyer - whakíl

    Bien
    In Turkish, vekil means representative. Müvekkil is the person represented. Lawyer is covered by the word avukat but an avukat calls his customer as müvekkil.
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Turk said:
    In Turkish, vekil means representative. Müvekkil is the person represented. Lawyer is covered by the word avukat but an avukat calls his customer as müvekkil.
    A lawyer after all is a representative! So all three words in all three languages are very similar! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    Bien
     

    Honour

    Senior Member
    Türkçe, Türkiye
    Bienvenidos said:
    A lawyer after all is a representative! So all three words in all three languages are very similar! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    Bien
    Sure, a lawyer is a representative but not vice versa of course ;)
    By the way, i think you have a word in farsi like hane. In turkish, we have a lot of compound words consisting word+hane. Hastane (hasta hane= patients house), pastane(pasta hane= pattisserie house), postane (posta hane= post house), darphane (forging house, where they print or forge money), gülhane(rose house= name of district in istanbul ), tımarhane (i don't know a proper translation, the place where they treat mentally ill people but it is slang), tophane (cannon house, they used to produce cannons there, again it is a district name) I could add many more :D
     

    Bienvenidos

    Senior Member
    USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Turk said:
    Sure, a lawyer is a representative but not vice versa of course ;)
    By the way, i think you have a word in farsi like hane. In turkish, we have a lot of compound words consisting word+hane. Hastane (hasta hane= patients house), pastane(pasta hane= pattisserie house), postane (posta hane= post house), darphane (forging house, where they print or forge money), gülhane(rose house= name of district in istanbul ), tımarhane (i don't know a proper translation, the place where they treat mentally ill people but it is slang), tophane (cannon house, they used to produce cannons there, again it is a district name) I could add many more :D
    Interesting. We've actually been discussing this; the term in Farsi is khana, but it looks/probably sounds very similar to hane. Also, gúl means flower or rose in Farsi, as it does in Turkish! :) Posta also means post/mail in Farsi, same exact word and pronounciation :)

    Bien
     

    cherine

    Moderator
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Turk said:
    In Turkish, vekil means representative. Müvekkil is the person represented. Lawyer is covered by the word avukat but an avukat calls his customer as müvekkil.
    The "v" doesn't exist in Arabic, we have -in its place- the letter "waw" و so vekil is wakil, muvekkil: muwaakil (and it has the same meaning: the person represented by a lawyer).
    avukato used to be the word for lawyer (I think it was taken from Italian), but some years ago, it was replaced by an Arabic word "muHami" محامي (long "a") which literaly means deffender.
     

    Tisia

    Senior Member
    Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    Bienvenidos said:
    Are there similarities between professions?


    FARSI
    Doctor - doctor
    Teacher - mulim
    Maid - múzdúr
    Singer - honunduh
    Lawyer - whakíl
    Chef - oshpuz

    Cleaning - pok-carí (informal)

    Bien
    Though there is not too much difference with the afghan farsi, but this is how it goes in Persian:
    Persian: Doctor - doctor
    Teacher - mo'alem (with a pause between o and a, in Persian it has a tashdid)
    Maid - dushizeh
    Singer - khanandeh
    Lawyer - vakil (writen as wakil but pronounced vakil)
    Chef - ashpaz
    Cleaning - roftgari(eg.street cleaning)

    br
    Tisia
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top