Persian/Arabic: Which is closer to Hindi?

vikramkr

USA - English
Hello everyone:

I know Hindi fairly well, and want to learn Persian and/or Arabic.

Which of these two languages has a closer relation (if there is one at all) to Hindi?

Thanks,

Vikram

• Hello everyone:

I know Hindi fairly well, and want to learn Persian and/or Arabic.

Which of these two languages has a closer relation (if there is one at all) to Hindi?

Thanks,

Vikram

Well, I would assume, Persian (Farsi), of course!!! since it`s an Indo-Iranian language just like Hindi. The other point is which is more useful in India. That I do not know. You shall have to wait for somebody living in India or knowing it quite well. Persian is easier, in my opinion, but Arabic is more widespread and probably of more use.

Lugubert

I had a semester plus of Hindi and two of Arabic, so I thought that knowing some European + Hindi grammar and some Arabic vocabulary would make Persian easy. For vocabulary, Hindi and Arabic sure helped, but the Persian grammar appeared to me quite different from the European Indo-European languages, but not as different from them as Hindi...

Semitic grammar is of course very different from IE. And the day your book leave out the vowels, you'll feel lost. Fortunately, there's just three to choose from. Persian has five.

vikramkr

USA - English
    Thanks everyone...I'm going to try to learn Farsi then. Does anyone know of some good software that could help me learn the language? I would take a class, but I couldn't find one around where I live.

I can't write Urdu, but I can understand it. After all, it is essentially the same spoken language as Hindi.

panjabigator

Am. English
    Hindi and Farsi are both from the same language family. There grammars may be different, but they share a lot of common words. Sanskrit and Old-old Farsi (the actual linguistic term!) are considered to be cousins.

If you were looking to learn a language that has more in common with Hindi, than I would suggest Farsi. There are PLENTY of words which are the same (and most of the Arabic we have I presume is via Farsi) however the pronunciations will vary. The words incorporated into everyday Hindi (ie /dost/ or friend) have gone through a change, so now their pronunciation is more similar to /duust/.

Let us know how the learning goes, and keep on posting!

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    Yes, Persian is closer. I haven't studied Hindi at all but when I watch an Indian movie, I undersrtand alot of it.

Regards
    Tisia

Bienvenidos

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Persian is closer. However, it's not realistic to say that someone who speaks Hindi will instantly pick up Persian; Persian (depending on the dialect) takes a long time to learn, and I would say that--speaking for the Eastern dialect--it is harder to learn than Arabic just because the Eastern dialect is spoken differently than it is written.

Best of luck.

konungursvia

Banned
    Canada (English)
    Persian is a thousand times closer to Hindi than Arabic. Farsi is an Indo-European language, you will find it easy, brother! Arabic is Semitic, and shares virtually nothing but a few loan words with our family.

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    Persian is closer. However, it's not realistic to say that someone who speaks Hindi will instantly pick up Persian; Persian (depending on the dialect) takes a long time to learn, and I would say that--speaking for the Eastern dialect--it is harder to learn than Arabic just because the Eastern dialect is spoken differently than it is written.

Best of luck.
    Dear Bienvenidos, Written and spoken Arabic are also quite different :D Do you know Arabic? And in my opinion, it's more different. Anyway, I just wanted to say there's difference.

Eastern Persian which is spoken is Khorasan of Iran, Afghanistan, etc. is closer to Hindi and Urdu in pronunciation and probably in vocabulary as well. According to ethnologue, it has one million speakers in Pakistan.

< Previous | Next >