Persian/Azarbaijani: pronouncing ق in Tabriz

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hello! Personally as a Persian I hear a guttural ‘g’, rather how the ق always sounds like everywhere, not just in Tabriz. Whether or not there is a stark difference in the Tabriz pronunciation I could never tell. Do you know for a fact that the Tabriz accent __ there presumably is one __ is distinct from the standard accent? Could you share your knowledge on this point? It might just lead to a useful clue if you could.

PS
    I would try the Other Languages Forum, too. You may receive a proper response in there.

Last edited:

Molonglo

English
    Hello! Personally as a Persian I hear a guttural ‘g’, rather how the ق always sounds like everywhere, not just in Tabriz. Whether or not there is a stark difference in the Tabriz pronunciation I could never tell. Do you know for a fact that the Tabriz accent __ there presumably is one __ is distinct from the standard accent? Could you share your knowledge on this point? It might just lead to a useful clue if you could.

PS
    I would try the Other Languages Forum, too. You may receive a proper response in there.

ق is not dialectically the same everywhere, as noted in post #69 of this thread: Urdu, Persian: Pronunciation of Qaf ق and Ghayn غ

According to this article (which I just found) https://www.academia.edu/13968685/The_Sound_System_of_Tabrizi_Azeri there is a slight difference ق is pronounced like IPA [ɟ] rather than ق’s iPA [g] - but I couldn’t tell the difference listening to spoken Azeri from Tabriz (but I can when pronouncing words in my own mouth).

Derakhshan

Arabic, Persian
    Where are you seeing that? It says that ق [q] is pronounced [g], and گ [g] is pronounced [ɟ͡ʝ].

Indeed, the letter q represents [g] in official Azerbaijani script, and Azeris in Iran are known for/stereotyped as pronouncing ق as گ.

Last edited: