Persian: Be ahestegi

dalequetepega

USA, English
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could translate this Farsi transliteration to English for me. It is the title of a recent movie, which was translated as ¨Gradually...¨ but I am always suspicious of international distribution titles. Thanks.

• Bienvenidos

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Hello :) :D

This is interesting; the transliteration itself is a little shaky (shows how much the movie biz cares about pronunciation!)

"Be" in most cases would mean, "for"

And "ahestegi (xastagi)" means "tiredness" or "being tired"

I haven't heard "Gradually" translated as "be ahestegi" ever before, so it may just be an alternative title:) :D

I would suggest:

-Growing Tired

I read the synopsis:

http://www.seattlefilm.org/festival/film/detail.aspx?id=19079&fid=13

And I think this could be an option.

:) :D

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    This is interesting; the transliteration itself is a little shaky (shows how much the movie biz cares about pronunciation!)

"Be" in most cases would mean, "for"

And "ahestegi (xastagi)" means "tiredness" or "being tired"

I haven't heard "Gradually" translated as "be ahestegi" ever before, so it may just be an alternative title:) :D

I would suggest:

-Growing Tired
    I'm sorry dear Bienvenidos, but I think you're wrong.

One of the ways of making adverb from an adjective is this formula: preposition be + adjective + suffix [g/y]i (if the adjective ends in vowel e then gi is used, in case of any other vowel: yi, and otherwise i). âheste means slow; soft; gradual (it's quite different from xaste which means tired). So, be âheste-gi can mean slowly; softly; gradually based on the context. The first sense which comes to the mind of a native speaker is "slowly".

Some more examples: be âsân-i (easily), be xub-i (well)

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    As Alijish said it is translated as 'slowly'. But I see many word-for-word translations for these kind of titles, but it sounds wrong when you get to know the context.

Regards
    Tisia

< Previous | Next >