Persian: country

taraa

Persian
Do you translate 'country' as 'دولت' or 'ملت'?

The country now has a quota on immigration

• Alfaaz

English
    PersoLatin said:
    taraa said:
    The book translated it as 'دولت', so is it wrong?
    Yes,

I can’t see why they would do that. You can not use country & government interchangeably.
    Could it be that the assignment of meanings presented in post #2 is specific to modern *Irani Farsi?

دَولت has these meanings in Arabic (includes country). While Steingass and Hayyim both list similar meanings, Hayyim* does include government as well.
    A دولة daulat (v.n. of دول) , Going round each other in combat; good turn of fortune; felicity, wealth, victory; power, dominion, empire; a state, reign, dynasty; (construed with āḵẖir shudan, āmadan, ḵẖuftan, dāshtan, rāndan, yāftan);

daulati ʻus̤mānīya, The Ottoman empire; — daulati ʻuzmá, The mighty empire; — daulati ʻalīya, The high imperial house (of Timūr); — daulati yūnān, The kingdom of Greece;] ...
    دولت (dowlat) Noun A 1. Riches, wealth. Syn. ثروت & تمول || 2. Government; state. Ex. دولت شاهنشاهی ایران the Imperial Government of Persia. 3. Empire, dominion. 4. Good (turn of) fortune. ...
    Is حکومت used and with what meanings?

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Could it be that the assignment of meanings presented in post #2 is specific to modern *Irani Farsi?

دَولت has these meanings in Arabic (includes country). While Steingass and Hayyim both list similar meanings, Hayyim* does include government as well.
    I don’t believe so as that would confuse everyone, average people make & know the distinction between the two.

Alfaaz

English
    PersoLatin said:
    I don’t believe so as that would confuse everyone, average people make & know the distinction between the two.
    Thanks. Could you please elaborate on what the "two" refers to?