Persian: Days of the week

< Previous | Next >

panjabigator

Am. English
What are the days of the week in Persian? Im curious to know where the Urdu days of the week originated from.

In Urdu (from Sunday to Saturday)
Ithvaar
Piir
Mangal
Budhh
Jumera'aat (perhaps mispelled)
Juma'
Hafta

Hafta means week also.

edit: the bolded days are the ones I am question. I think Thursday and Friday are Arabic in origin.

• modus.irrealis

English, Canada
    Hi,

Persian's now come up twice for me today. I found this off a site that I've now bookmarked because it looks pretty useful, and on this page, it has (in your order):

Sunday /yek shæn beh/.
    Monday /do shæn beh/.
    Tuesday /seh shæn beh/.
    Wednesday /chæha:r shæn beh/.
    Thursday /pænj shæn beh/.
    Friday /jomeh/

Saturday /shæn beh/.

Friday looks similar, and that makes sense, doesn't it? The other ones d0n't though.

Edit: Changed Farsi to Persian -- it seems that's the preferred term by the speakers.

Pivra

panjabigator said:
    What are the days of the week in Persian? Im curious to know where the Urdu days of the week originated from.

Ithvaar
    Piir
    Mangal
    Budhh
    Juma'
    Hafta

Hafta means week also.

edit: the bolded days are the ones I am question. I think Thursday and Friday are Arabic in origin.
    Budh is also Wednesday in Thai.

Sunday /yek shæn beh/. = yek = 1
    Monday /do shæn beh/. = do= 2
    Tuesday /seh shæn beh/. = seh = 3
    Wednesday /chæha:r shæn beh/. = 4
    Thursday /pænj shæn beh/. = 5
    Friday /jomeh/ = 6
    Saturday /shæn beh/. =7

Am I right? I try to connect some words to Sanskrit.

yek= ek
    panj = pañc etc etc

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    panjabigator said:
    Hmmm...does anyone know the origin of my bolded terms from post 1 (aside from Juma)?
    I don't know about the others but Jum'a I think it comes from the word tajamo'a (assembly) or jam'a shodan(to come together), since Jum'a is the weekend in the Middle East and it is when people come to gether. I am not sure:)

Tisia

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    @ panjabigator

I would think "juméraat" (nearest spelling lol) would come from "jum'aa" (friday) and "raat" which means "night" (in Urdu, as you probably know). In Islam, we believe the next day starts after Maghrib (sunset), so the period between the sunset on Thursday and the beginning of Friday is called "Juméraat". However, people have just started calling the whole day of Thursday as Juméraat now. Otherwise it would be known as "Guruwaar" - that's the other name for Thursday, which people still use.

panjabigator

Am. English
    That makes sense! I assumed that since Jumeraat is with an ain, it has to be Arabic in origin, but I wasnt entirely correct! hehe

Do you say Jumeraatri then hehe!

What about Piir and hafta?

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    panjabigator said:
    That makes sense! I assumed that since Jumeraat is with an ain, it has to be Arabic in origin, but I wasnt entirely correct! hehe

Do you say Jumeraatri then hehe!

What about Piir and hafta?
    Juméraat is written with an ain lol!!:

جمعرات

But remember - that's not an Arabic word, it's an Urdu word. But in Urdu, the pronunciation of the ain isn't as "strict" as in Arabic. I suppose the strict transcription would be: jum3araat, but people just say "jumeraat" - normal vowel sound.

And no - we don't say "jumeraatri"!! haha that's funny. Thinking about, "night" in Gujarati is "raatre", but you wouldn't say "Jumeraatre" - that just sounds too weird.

As for Monday - the other word for it is: سوموار (somwaar)
    The rest are right - I don't think there are other words for those.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    linguist786 said:
    In Islam, we believe the next day starts after Maghrib (sunset), so the period between the sunset on Thursday and the beginning of Friday is called "Juméraat".
    Sorry to go off-topic, but I'd like to ask where did you get this from ?!!!!!!
    Don't we have 5 prayers a day ? and the last of which is the 3ishaa2 العشاء which follows the maghrib.

Tisia said:
    don't know about the others but Jum'a I think it comes from the word tajamo'a (assembly) or jam'a shodan(to come together), since Jum'a is the weekend in the Middle East and it is when people come to gether. I am not sure:)
    Almost correct Tisia :) You're right about the word jum3a comes from the root ج-م-ع (which means gathering or assembly). But I don't think it's about weekends, but more about the prayer of the Jum'3a which is supposed to be prayed in jamaa3a جماعة a group of people together, not individually.

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    cherine said:
    .....the prayer of the Jum'3a which is supposed to be prayed in jamaa3a جماعة a group of people together, not individually.
    Yes, exactly. I had that in mind as an example. Just lazy to write it:)

Tisia

Pivra

linguist786 said:
    Juméraat is written with an ain lol!!:

جمعرات

But remember - that's not an Arabic word, it's an Urdu word. But in Urdu, the pronunciation of the ain isn't as "strict" as in Arabic. I suppose the strict transcription would be: jum3araat, but people just say "jumeraat" - normal vowel sound.

And no - we don't say "jumeraatri"!! haha that's funny. Thinking about, "night" in Gujarati is "raatre", but you wouldn't say "Jumeraatre" - that just sounds too weird.

As for Monday - the other word for it is: سوموار (somwaar)
    The rest are right - I don't think there are other words for those.
    I think Somwaar sounds very Sanskrit. Soma= moon Waar= ocassion, time.

Bienvenidos

USA
    English
    panjabigator said:

Ithvaar
    Piir
    Mangal
    Budhh
    Juma'
    Hafta

Hafta means week also.

Hafta is week in Persian as well. :)

Bien

< Previous | Next >