Persian: Death penalty

• Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    How interesting. sazâ/sezâ is from the verb sazidan. We say mojâzât-e marg as an equivalent to "death penalty" but we also use sezâ:

kesi ke hamchin kâr-i-yo bokone sezâ-š marg-e. One who does such thing, his penalty is death (literally: what he deserves is death. sazidan means: to deserve, merit).

Abbassupreme

United States, English, Persian
    Wow. I never knew about that word, AND of how to say "death penalty" in Persian. Thank you so much for enlightening me! :D So one can say both sezâ and sazâ? Is it an Arabic loanword or no? How is it written in Perso-Arabic? Can one say "sezâ e marg" in Persian instead of "mojâzât" then? What's mojâzât mean, then?

Sorry about all the questions! Thank You!

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    Wow. I never knew about that word, AND of how to say "death penalty" in Persian. Thank you so much for enlightening me! :D So one can say both sezâ and sazâ? Is it an Arabic loanword or no? How is it written in Perso-Arabic? Can one say "sezâ e marg" in Persian instead of "mojâzât" then? What's mojâzât mean, then?

Sorry about all the questions! Thank You!
    You're welcome!

sezâ (سزا) which means "retribution", is from verb sezidan (سزیدن): to merit, to deserve; to be due. They are Persian words. sezidan is found in past poetry e.g. works of Rumi. From the same root (i.e. sez), we have also sezâvâr (سزاوار: deserving; just, right) which is used in written Persian. We say sezâ but I expect it to be also pronounced sazâ in some regions, because its Middle Persian (ca. 250 BCE - ca. 950 CE) is sazâg.

mojâzât (مجازات), jazâ (جزا) and keyfar (کیفر) all mean "punishment, penalty" and each have their own uses. For example, for "bill of indictment" we say keyfarxwâst (کیفرخواست). Or for penal, we say keyfari (کیفری) and sometimes jazâyi (جزایی).

If I remember rightly, the legal term for "death penalty" is jazâ-ye marg (جزای مرگ). Arabic jazâ might have Persian origin but I don't know about it.

< Previous | Next >