Persian: disrespectful

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
Hello guys,

I've been looking for an adjective for "disrespectful" in Persian. E. g., don't be disrespectful to your mother. Or, that is a disrespectful thing to say.

Of course I can say بی‌احترامی نکن.
Otherwise, there are بی‌تربیت, بی‌حرمت , بی‌حیا , بی‌ملاحظه. But none of them means exactly "disrespectful", do they?

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    You can use گستاخ for disrespectful, it is not very often used in day-to-day Persian but it fits the purpose perfectly.
    So gostâx nabâŝ/گستاخ نباش - don't be disrespectful, also گستاخی = بی‌احترامی

گستاخalso means confident, bold.

Last edited:

Albright

Persian
    Well, the translation of disrespectful is ”بی احترامی”. But it’s not common to use it in a sentence like that in Persian. The more common usage is:
    احترام .... را نگه دار.
    For example, if you wanna say don’t be disrespectful to your mom, it’s:
    احترام مامانت رو نگه دار.
    Also, as a kind of exception, if you say:
    ”احترام خودت را نگه دار”
    to someone, it means that they said/did a disrespectful thing to you and you’re offended.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    You can use گستاخ for disrespectful, it is not very often used in day-to-day Persian but it fits the purpose perfectly.
    So gostâx nabâŝ/گستاخ نباش - don't be disrespectful, also گستاخی = بی‌احترامی
    I would certainly go for a good old Persian word, namely گستاخ .

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    Thank you guys!!
    I like that!

But it’s not common to use it in a sentence like that in Persian. The more common usage is:
    احترام .... را نگه دار.
    This is very interesting. I'm struggling with the grammar though. احترام means respect, so shouldn't it be احترام برای مامانت نگه دار? Or does احترام also imply dignity, honor?

Albright

Persian
    Thank you guys!!

I like that!

This is very interesting. I'm struggling with the grammar though. احترام means respect, so shouldn't it be احترام برای مامانت نگه دار? Or does احترام also imply dignity, honor?
    احترام can also imply honor. But I believe in this context its meaning is closer to respect. We may delete the adposition for احترام. For example we may say احترامِ مادر واجب است, instead of saying احترام گذاشتن به مادر واجب است. Which means Respecting (your) mother is a must.

< Previous | Next >