Persian: Does it differentiate between these two Arabic letters هـ-ح?

panjabigator

Am. English
Does Farsi differentiate between the two "h" sounds from Arabic? In Hindi/Urdu, they are not differentiated and are pronounced as "h" and not "7," although they are spelled as they would be in Arabic.

• DrLindenbrock

Italian
    I beg to differ, Setwale. I don't believe that Farsi distinguishes the sound of these two letters.
    I agree with you Palomnik...I studied a little Persian and what I always found is that they sound alike.
    Also, I have an Iranian friends who I "use" to hear Persian sounds and he pronounces a word like حساب as if it were a ه... and, I hope nowbody gets offended by this, he always laughs when he hears Arabic speakers because of how they pronounce the letter ح... he has the same reaction most non-Arabs have...even textbooks for beginners say that the ح sounds like "breathing forcibly from the throat as if cleaning glasses" . :)

Ok, let me suggest a more objective fact:
    in Arabic the two letters are called حاء and هاء... romanized, it would be 7A2 and hA2.
    in Persian, however, as the letters sounds the same, this would not be enough to distinguish them! So, colloquially:
    ح = he jimi / حه جیمی ["he" like a "jim", because it's like the latter but without the dot]
    ه = he-ye do-cheshm / هـ ی دوچشم ["he" with two eyes, because of how the letter looks].

From what I heard, it seems that when referring to "he", most Persian speakers assume it's ه. Otherwise, if they mean ح, they say "he jimi".

Enjoy posting :)

roh3x2n

Fars
    Yeah, but it depends on regions where the langauge is spoken.
    In some of part of Afghanistan/Iran, there is no big difference, because of the accent.

panjabigator

Am. English
    Yeah, but it depends on regions where the langauge is spoken.
    In some of part of Afghanistan/Iran, there is no big difference, because of the accent.
    One thing more that I notice in Hindi/Urdu there is no difference between kaaf and Qaaf sounds.
    Do Farsi speakers in western Iran differentiate perhaps due to proximity with Arabic speakers?

Frank06

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    Does Farsi differentiate between the two "h" sounds from Arabic? In Hindi/Urdu, they are not differentiated and are pronounced as "h" and not "7," although they are spelled as they would be in Arabic.
    I asked a few native speakers of Persian and there is no difference whatsoever.

Groetjes,

Frank

roh3x2n

Fars
    Do Farsi speakers in western Iran differentiate perhaps due to proximity with Arabic speakers?

As for the difference between kaaf and qaaf, well it depends on the speaker. I have NEVER EVER met a Hindi speaker who differentiated between the two. But every Urdu speaker I have met does. Note though, the Urdu speakers I have met are all from educated families and so they were "taught proper Urdu." For many Urdu speakers it sounds very strange that Hindi speakers do not differentiate. If I did with my family they would think it's a tad strange (that is if they noticed).
    Well i am a native persian speaker.
    And i do feel the difference,but not as obiouse as arabic.

Abbassupreme

United States, English, Persian
    I have relatives (the older generation; the family of my grandparents) who're from the Iranian province of Khuzestan who DO pronounce the two "h"s differently. Khuzestan is known to be the Arab region of Iran, with its own unique dialect of Arabic that is very similar to Iraqi Arabic. My mother was born in the Khuzestani city of Ahvaz/Ahwaz, and all her aunts and uncles pronounce the different "h"s as the Arabs would.

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    No, they're pronounced alike. And for your more information, this also applies to all z's (ذ، ز، ض، ظ), s's (ث، س، ص), t's (ت، ط). And in Iranian Persian, also to all q's (غ، ق).

< Previous | Next >