Persian: drop

seitt

English/Welsh
Greetings,

Re the word ‘drop’ (چکّه), what is its Colloquial Persian pronunciation, please?

I think the E is pronounced as I, but are there any other changes? Does the same thing happen with ‘piece’ (تکّه)?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

• seitt

English/Welsh
    I think the last two you mention mean "piece", especially a piece of meat, don't they? تكّه would seem to be the source of Hindi टिक्का/Urdu ٹِکّہ‎, the famous Indian dish.
    Can the tashdid be omitted in any of these?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I think the last two you mention mean "piece", especially a piece of meat, don't they? تكّه
    Yes you are right, in Persian تکه means a small or large chunk/piece of something, meat, bread, cake, stone, rock etc.

It is intriguing to know why تکه became the name of that dish, I imagine تکه is mentioned in recipes or for preparation methods of most Persian dishes.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I think the last two you mention mean "piece", especially a piece of meat, don't they? تكّه would seem to be the source of Hindi टिक्का/Urdu ٹِکّہ‎, the famous Indian dish. Can the tashdid be omitted in any of these?
    Yes, Persian تكّه (tikkah) is the source of the Urdu word تكّه meaning a piece (of meat).

Alfaaz

English
    Qureshpor said:
    Yes, Persian تكّه (tikkah) is the source of the Urdu word تكّه meaning a piece (of meat).
    This is the etymology listed in most Urdu dictionaries. However, fdb SaaHib interestingly presented a different view/supposition in Hindi: टिक्का (thread also made by seitt SaaHib):
    fdb said:
    For tikka “piece of meat”, the Lughatnāma has references only to Indo-Persian dictionaries, no references to classical texts. I suspect that it was borrowed from Urdu to Persian, not the other way round.

تکه | پارسی ویکی
    PersoLatin said:
    It is intriguing to know why تکه became the name of that dish
    It seems because there are pieces of meat, in contrast to dishes like مرغِ مسلّم، چرغہ (Murgh musallam, Chargha) - whole chicken.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ Yes, thank you Alfaaz. fdb SaaHib said, "I suspect......". Normally, the Indo-Persian dictionaries provide references and it would be a good excercise to check one or two of them if one can get hold of them. I don't have Steingass in mind but Farhang-i-Jahangiri (1608) compiled by Jamal-al Din Hosseing Inju Shirazi, Burhan-i-Qaati3 (1652) by Mohammad Hussain b. Khalaf Tabrizi, Haft Qulzum (1822?) and Farhang-i-Rashidi by Sayyid Abdurrashid b. al-Hossein al-Tatawi.

Last edited: