Persian: earlier and later

Negaran

Persian-farsi
hi, I want to know the meaning of earlier and later in persian, its from Birth of chess queen book.
Here, as in earlier and later religious allegories, she was clothed in virtues considered appropriate for women, such as nonviolence, passivity, and lack of curiosity.
thanks

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    The piece was depicted as a character with womanly attributes, just as religious allegories made up around it from long ago (متقدم) and from a period closer to the time of depiction (متأخر) had done so.
    My suggestions:
    متقدم و متأخر.
    دیرین و واپسین‌.
    نخستین و واپسین.
    دیرپا و نوآورد.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    PersoLatin, don’t the words passin and peeshin in fact work only when they refer to points on the two opposite sides of a fixed point in time? — along the imaginary axis, I mean.

I mean, maybe people understand them in the context offered here the same way as you do, which is fine then.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    don’t the words passin and peeshin in fact work only when they refer to points on the two opposite sides of a fixed point in time? — along the imaginary axis, I mean.
    I am sure پسین & پیشین work both for time and space equally.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I am sure they do. The question is, how well do they convey the idea of two points in time both of which are in the past.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I am sure they do. The question is, how well do they convey the idea of two points in time both of which are in the past.
    I see what you mean but if پیشین works then پسین has to, with the same structure it has the opposite meaning, I think the popular use of Arabic words بعد & آخر has diminished it's usefulness. Dehkhoda lists پسین as the opposite of پیشین & نخستین, also one definition for its use in the past but no examples, there must be some in old text.
    پسین
    بعدی. ،آنچه در پی آمده، می آید یا خواهد آمد

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I would say they very well may work. They may even prove the best option to work with. The test is to place them in the sentence (or build one around them) and see how adequately they fit in and do the job of deceiving the reader. (Translations are works of deception, as we all know.)

What really worries me is the fact that this particular chess piece is traditionally a male figure, a vizier! How to say he was clothed in feminine virtues without offending any sensibilities is beyond me. But I suppose a queen is as good as a vizier any time at any court.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would say they very well may work. They may even prove the best option to work with. The test is to place them in the sentence (or build one around them) and see how adequately they fit in and do the job of deceiving the reader. (Translations are works of deception, as we all know.)

What really worries me is the fact that this particular chess piece is traditionally a male figure, a vizier! How to say he was clothed in feminine virtues without offending any sensibilities is beyond me. But I suppose a queen is as good as a vizier any time at any court.
    Let's see what @taraa thinks about my suggestion. As for your other point, it seems the writer has n't heard about "Lady Macbeth! :)

taraa

Persian
    Let's see what @taraa thinks about my suggestion. As for your other point, it seems the writer has n't heard about "Lady Macbeth! :)
    I agree with mannoushka
    smile.gif