Persian: hallmark

taraa

Persian
One meaning of 'hallmark' is 'انگ'. I don't think this is the case here because it's a positive feature, right?

This property of overlapping subproblems is the second hallmark of when dynamic programming applies (the first hallmark being optimal substructure).

Cormen's Introduction to Algorithms

• taraa

Persian
    It started off as a mark stamped on silver & gold by silver/goldsmiths, in the UK, basically a stamp of purity of gold/silver, a "mark of quality", a sign/proof of quality of something.
    Many thanks for the great explanations. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Also, 'hall' in Hallmark comes from "Goldsmiths' Hall" in London, I suppose if the place was called Goldsmiths' Manor/House/Palace, Hallmark may have been 'Manormark' today. :)

taraa

Persian
    Also, 'hall' in Hallmark comes from "Goldsmiths' Hall" in London, I suppose if the place was called Goldsmiths' Manor/House/Palace, Hallmark may have been 'Manormark' today. :)

Great. Many thanks. :) :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:
    Can I ask what Manormark is, please?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Can I ask what Manormark is, please?
    No such word exists, I made it up to demonstrate how the name (Hallmark) came about.

If you imagine the building was called Goldsmiths' Manor rather than Goldsmiths' Hall, then instead of Hallmark we may now be using Manormark. I hope I haven't made things worse.

taraa

Persian
    No such word exists, I made it up to demonstrate how the name (Hallmark) came about.

If you imagine the building was called Goldsmiths' Manor rather than Goldsmiths' Hall, then instead of Hallmark we may now be using Manormark. I hope I haven't made things worse.
    It's interesting. Many thanks. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you: