Persian: How dare you

taraa

Persian
Is 'dare' like 'brave'/'not being afraid of'? Does it mean 'چطور جرات ميكني ...'

How dare you talk back to a senior ranking officer!

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    To dare: دلیر بودن جرات کردن شهامت داشتن

I daren’t do that/جراتشو ندارم اون کار رو‌بکنم

How did you dare to climb to that height با چه جراتی رفتی اونقدر بالا؟

“How dare you …?” is a strong reaction & the person addressed is being told off for doing/saying something rude/inappropriate.

In spoken Persian if a child says something rude to her mum/dad, they will not react & say چطور جرات میکتی با من اینجوری صحبت کنی؟ not unless they are in a film or it’s in formal writing, they will say one or more of the following, some are comical:
    به‌به چه غلطا،
    خیلی پر رو شدی
    چه بی ادب بزار بابات بیاد،
    ... 😀

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Many thanks for the awesome explanation!
    Sorry, so is 'how dare you' different from the ones above it?
    To dare: دلیر بودن جرات کردن شهامت داشتن

I daren’t do that/جراتشو ندارم اون کار رو‌بکنم

How did you dare to climb to that height با چه جراتی رفتی اونقدر بالا؟

“How dare you …?”

Aryamp

Persian
    How dare you... is not a true question. It conveys real or playful anger. Its equivalent in Persian would be a rhetorical question like:
    چطور به خودت اجازه می دی/ دادی . با چه جراتی
    چطور جرات کردی (angry tone)

But how did you dare... is a question. It is asked when you're surprised that someone was bold enough to do something. So the translation into Persian should convey the same tone of surprise rather than anger. So I prefer چطور جرات کردی!!؟ over the other equivalents. Of course the context determines the tone in writing.

taraa

Persian
    How dare you... is not a true question. It conveys real or playful anger. Its equivalent in Persian would be a rhetorical question like:
    چطور به خودت اجازه می دی/ دادی . با چه جراتی
    چطور جرات کردی (angry tone)

But how did you dare... is a question. It is asked when you're surprised that someone was bold enough to do something. So the translation into Persian should convey the same tone of surprise rather than anger. So I prefer چطور جرات کردی!!؟ over the other equivalents. Of course the context determines the tone in writing.
    Many thanks!
    Sorry, but why they say this 'dare' used here has nothing to do with being blod

Boldness is another definition of dare. To dare someone to do something is to challenge them to show courage or boldness. The dare is often foolish, or dangerous. But this sense of dare is not that. This one shows shock or offense at the actions of another.

Aryamp

Persian
    Many thanks!
    Sorry, but why they say this 'dare' used here has nothing to do with being blod

Boldness is another definition of dare. To dare someone to do something is to challenge them to show courage or boldness. The dare is often foolish, or dangerous. But this sense of dare is not that. This one shows shock or offense at the actions of another.
    "I dare you to do something" means
    اگر جرات داری/راست میگی فلان کار رو بکن

The text you've given does not say dare has nothing to do with boldness. It says "how dare you" is not an invitation to show boldness or courage. It shows shock or offense.

همانطور که در فارسی «اگر جرات داری...» مخاطب رو دعوت میکنه که شهامتش رو نشون بده ولی «با چه جراتی.. یا چطور جرات کردی» منظور این نیست که طرف واقعا پاسخ بده و شهامتش رو نشون بده​

taraa

Persian
    "I dare you to do something" means
    اگر جرات داری/راست میگی فلان کار رو بکن

The text you've given does not say dare has nothing to do with boldness. It says "how dare you" is not an invitation to show boldness or courage. It shows shock or offense.

همانطور که در فارسی «اگر جرات داری...» مخاطب رو دعوت میکنه که شهامتش رو نشون بده ولی «با چه جراتی.. یا چطور جرات کردی» منظور این نیست که طرف واقعا پاسخ بده و شهامتش رو نشون بده​
    Many thanks!