Persian: If possible, please do come.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
سلام

I'm writing a letter to some new acquaintances. I wanted to tell them about the Khatm-ul-Qur'an (the recitation of the final chapters of the Qur'an near the end of Ramadhan during the night prayers called التراويح) and invite them to the mosque where we pray. How would I say "If possible, please do come."?

Here's the context:

از ديدار شما در روز جمعه خيلى خرسند شدم. اميدوارم باز هم شمارا ملاقات كنم. فردا پيش مان در حوزۂ علميه ختم القرآن قرار خواهد گرفت. اگر حوصله داريد حتماً تشريف بيآوريد. خدا بشما خير دهد.

I'm not looking for a literal translation; I would much rather have an idiomatic way of expressing my desire to see them there tomorrow.

Thank you!

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Firstly, I would say با شما ملاقات کنم۔

اگر ممکن باشد، لطفاً تشریف بیاورید۔

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Ali Smith, hi. I think what you have written down is actually quite good. If I were you, I would make a small alteration to the sentence, like so:
    اگر وقت دارید حتما" تشریف بیاورید

My personal reason: presumably my acquaintances will be eager to participate in the religious ceremony or I would not be inviting them in the first place. Therefore they are certain to have the حوصله, the calm temper, to show up for the rituals. I would avoid the implicit suggestion that they might not be in the mood for reciting the divine scripture. But that's just me.

Going back a sentence, what are you trying to say in فردا پيش مان در حوزۂ علميه ختم القرآن قرار خواهد گرفت? Are you trying to say "tomorrow there is going to be a recitation ceremony at the academy"?

Last edited:

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Thanks, Qureshpor and mannoushka!

Yes, there is a religious school (hawze-ye ilmiyye) in our city where tomorrow (Thursday) there will be the Khatm-ul-Qur'an. That's what they call it in Urdu; I have no idea what its equivalent in Persian would be.

Does this sound better?

از ديدار شما در روز جمعه خيلى خرسند شدم. اميدوارم باز هم شمارا ملاقات كنم. فردا پيش مان در حوزۂ علميه ختم القرآن قرار خواهد گرفت. اگر وقت داريد حتماً تشريف بيآوريد. خدا بشما خير دهد.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    The same, almost: ختم قرآن.

So, may I suggest this:
    فردا در حوزه‌ی علمیه ختم‌القرآن برگزار خواهد شد
    Or,
    فردا در حوزه‌ی علمیه ختم‌القرآن برگزار می‌کنیم

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    از ديدار شما در روز جمعه خيلى خرسند شدم. اميدوارم باز هم شمارا ملاقات كنم. فردا در حوزه‌ی علميه ختم قرآن برگزار خواهد شد. اگر وقت داريد حتماً تشريف بيآوريد. خدا بشما خير دهد

I removed the ال from القرآن and also پيش مان, although I don't see why I shouldn't say it. I mean, it means "at our place", right?

Maybe I could add مان to the end of حوزه‌ی علميه instead.

از ديدار شما در روز جمعه خيلى خرسند شدم. اميدوارم باز هم شمارا ملاقات كنم. فردا در حوزه‌ی علميه مان ختم قرآن برگزار خواهد شد. اگر وقت داريد حتماً تشريف بيآوريد. خدا بشما خير دهد

What do you think?

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Maybe I could add مان to the end of حوزه‌ی علميه instead.

از ديدار شما در روز جمعه خيلى خرسند شدم. اميدوارم باز هم شمارا ملاقات كنم. فردا در حوزه‌ی علميه مان ختم قرآن برگزار خواهد شد. اگر وقت داريد حتماً تشريف بيآوريد. خدا بشما خير دهد

What do you think?
    I totally agree.