Persian: jigaram

< Previous | Next >

Tim Is Learning

English
Okay, so a girl says to me "good night and sweet dreams jigaram".

I know it means my liver literally, but it is meant as a term of endearment. I was wondering what it exactly meant and how much weight it carries (how strong a word it is)?

Up until now, we've called each other sweetie or azizam (I only speak English but she's perfectly fluent in English and Persian, so I've been trying to learn different little cute words or phrases in Persian). But now things are looking more serious, which is why I'm wondering what exactly this new word means... and if it does mean more than what we've previously used, is there another phrase I can use of equal meaning?

She thinks it's so cute when I speak Persian to her, so I'm trying to learn the language, but I will admit that it is not exactly easy for someone very western such as myself to pick up an eastern language.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
Tim

• arsham

Persian
    Unlike azizam, jigaram is a very informal phrase said of or to people who are very dear to the speaker. Depending on the context, it can also be a slang term equivalent to babe particulary when a male stranger says it to a woman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Is Learning

English
    Well in this context, it was a girl who I have grown relatively close to who is now saying to me "good night jigaram". Do you have any other insight on this stuff now that you know the context?

Last edited by a moderator:

arsham

Persian
    well in this context, it was a girl who i have grown relatively close to who is now saying to me "good night jigaram". do you have any other insight on this stuff now that you know the context?
    Then you can simply ignore the second sentence in my previous post. You're realy very dear to her!

Last edited:

turkcurious

TURKISH
    Hello,
    As arsham said I think babe is good. To my ears, jigaram is very informal and carries feeling of sexiness and sensuality. If a girl tells jigaram to me, I definitely think she loves me.
    Regards.

ronin ronin

Farsi
    this word means my heart
    jigar is the informal form of the word JEGAR witch means liver. in Farsi it is some how similar to heart in English (symbol of being alive). JigarAm means my liver
    you can use it when you are so so close to some one and if you use it in formal situations it could be considered as a villain uncivilized behavior. it is some how sexy and most of the times men say this to women. it is rare for a woman to say jigaram to a man.
    also parents could say it to very young children.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    jigar is the form we know in Urdu, it is nice to know that it is still informally used as such in Persian.

< Previous | Next >