Persian: Jupiter

Salman1

Persian
I have been looking at the native Persian words for different planets. When I came to Jupiter I found multiple words for the Arabic borrowing of مُشْتَرِي, including هرمز, اورمزد, برجیس and زاوش. Does anyone know which one is the primary native Persian word for Jupiter, what the difference is in usage between the different words, or which was most widely used in Middle Persian?

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    The names of the planets in seven languages
    Hi fdb,

The words for 'Saturn' in Persian & Syriac look very similar, is Persian kaywān a borrowing from Syriac?

Many Thanks.

1620972480909.png

Attachments

• 1620972387352.png
      1620972387352.png
      22.5 KB · Views: 17

fdb

French (France)
    Hi fdb,

The words for 'Saturn' in Persian & Syriac look very similar, is Persian kaywān a borrowing from Syriac?

Many Thanks.

View attachment 57062
    Indeed. They are both borrowed from Akkadian. The other Persian names are all the names of Zoroastrian gods.
    The generally accepted view is that the Persians did not want to name the inauspicious planet Saturn after a god, so they simply took the Babylonian name.

Last edited:

fdb

French (France)
    Thanks! Is this your own work? If so, would you happen to have the original text which was used for the transcription?
    It is from Biruni's "Chronology", as indicated at the top of the page, but I have corrected the printed edition using the oldest manuscript.

Salman1

Persian
    It is from Biruni's "Chronology", as indicated at the top of the page, but I have corrected the printed edition using the oldest manuscript.
    Thanks, but I meant if you have the plain text Arabic. I tried looking for it based on the reference, but all I could find were scans with a weird Arabic font and I couldn’t find the line where the planets were mentioned.