Persian: measured along at least three different dimensions

taraa

Persian
What is the Persian equivalent to 'along'?

Scalability of a system can be measured along at least three different dimensions (Neuman, 1994). First, a system can be scalable with respect to its size, meaning that we can easily add more users and resources to the system. Second, a geographically scalable system is one in which the users and resources may lie far apart.

distributed systems principles and paradigms, Tanenbaum

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Scalability of a system can be measured along at least three different dimensions (Neuman, 1994). First, a system can be scalable with respect to its size, meaning that we can easily add more users and resources to the system. Second, a geographically scalable system is one in which the users and resources may lie far apart.
    Usually you say "...can be measured along the x, y ... axis", "along the road", "come along", so along in this example seems odd to me because 'size' and 'resources' (plus the other missing one) are not dimensions, at least not ones that you do anything 'along' them.

taraa

Persian
    Usually you say "...can be measured along the x, y ... axis", "along the road", "come along", so along in this example seems odd to me because 'size' and 'resources' (plus the other missing one) are not dimensions, at least not ones that you do anything 'along' them.
    Aha, I understand. Many, many thanks. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:

utopia62000

Persian
    What is the Persian equivalent to 'along'?

distributed systems principles and paradigms, Tanenbaum
    سلام
    استنباط من از این پاراگراف این است که چند نفر همزمان میتوانند اندازه گیری را انجام دهند.

Shih-Wei

Chinese - Taiwan
    I think the use of 'dimension' is fine.
    A dimension doesn't need to be spacial.
    In its figurative sense, dimension can mean a significative aspect of things.
    For instance: this problem has a political / economical / social dimension.
    Of course you wouldn't want to translate this expression word-by-word into Persian.
    The first sentence should be something like the following:
    scalability از یک سیستم می تواند از دستکم سه جنبه/دیدگاه اندازه‌گیری شود.

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    I think the use of 'dimension' is fine.
    A dimension doesn't need to be spacial.
    Of course you wouldn't want to translate this expression word-by-word into Persian.
    The first sentence should be something like the following:
    scalability از یک سیستم می تواند از دستکم سه جنبه/دیدگاه اندازه‌گیری شود.
    Great. Many, many thanks. :thank you: :thank you:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    جنبه/دیدگاه
    This is exactly what the English version should also say, instead they used 'along' which I believe is not the best fitting word, why not: "Scalability of a system can be quantified/measured in at least three different dimensions"

I agree with its figurative use, however using 'along' with it makes it spatial, so a case of mixed metaphors.

taraa

Persian
    This is exactly what the English version should also say, instead they used 'along' which I believe is not the best fitting word, why not: "Scalability of a system can be quantified/measured in at least three different dimensions"

I agree with its figurative use, however using 'along' with it makes it spatial, so a case of mixed metaphors.
    Great. Many, many thanks. :thank you: :thank you: